PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
americaman, you may be more successful than me clenching but early on when I tried it I learned how easily vulcanite stems end up with tooth marks which I hate.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
You young guys!

I’m 69 and if I didn’t use them, I probably would have chewed through every vulcanite bit I have!

Instead I still have them all and aside from a little oxidation, they are still pristine.

And I have Obsidian Oil, so that’s no big deal.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
My clenching puts three small marks on the stem. One on top, two tiny dents on the bottom.
I've always kinda thought of the teeth marks as the finger-prints for each pipe. Weird, I know.
But I hate the Softy Bit. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All of my pipes except for 4 are vulcanite stems and I clench all the time except for the few bigger pipes I hold while smoking. I could care less about chatter as I bought my pipes to smoke, not to re sell. The thought of using something on my stems skeeves me out.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have been labeled a clencher by fellow pipe smokers ... so I guess I am, although I have some rules. If it's off balance, heavy or bulky, I don't clench. I guess it's more of a feel thing and a tendency to protect my teeth, rather than preserve the stem of that pipe. I do have a number of pipes that do fit my rules though, and I clench without thinking of it when I work at my desk, shoot I have been clenching my pipe since I started typing this, and this Peterson that I smoke right now is not quite light ... so I guess it is more of a habit, than something I do consciously. I do like to feel the warmth of a good solid bowl though, when I watch TV for instance, and I have pipes for that purpose. Try what works for you man, rubber bit, no rubber bit, heavy, curved, straight, light, and so on ...

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
This is the first I've heard of vinyl or parafilm tape. Are you talking about the stuff that looks like electrical tape that you buy at the hardware store, and the stuff used in nurseries?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is the first I've heard of vinyl or parafilm tape. Are you talking about the stuff that looks like electrical tape that you buy at the hardware store, and the stuff used in nurseries?
The dry vinyl tape is below. It's non-adhesive, so doesn't leave residue on the stem...just sticks to itself. I've found that it stays in place better if you're careful not to stretch it while wrapping. Works really well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823GUP6/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Reactions: dunnyboy

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
For the confirmed clenchers:
1. Do you clench the pipe straight on, or to the side?
2. Do your teeth sit at the stem button or further up the stem?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I only clench. I literally don't think I've ever smoked a pipe while holding it in my hand, and that's over a dozen years or so of pipe smoking.
1. To the side. I change which side of my mouth the pipe is in several times during a smoke, but never (ok, maybe less than 1% of the time, like if I'm relighting) straight on.
2. Further up. I kind of alternate between having the stem near my canines, where it sort of droops out of my mouth, and clenching it in my molars, where it's coming out of my mouth parallel to the ground (for a straight pipe).

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I use softees on all my pipes. I’ve got hockey teeth, and softees help immeasurably. I understand how softees would suck if you’re starting with a bit that is too thick to begin with, but if your pipemaker cuts a reasonable bit then you won’t have any issues.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Softees suck on even the thinnest of stems. Diff folks, diff strokes.
As to where/how the pipe is held, a lot of different positions, except straight on.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Jpmcwjr, I guess you don’t like them. But moving forward, keep your generalities to yourself. I’ve been using them since the late eighties, and have really enjoyed what they have to offer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
By "diff folks, diff stokes" I thought it was clear that there's room for everyone's point of view.
Moving forward: In general, I do not think just because the stem is thin that it makes softie bits issue free. That's why I said they suck. My view, for me. Specific enough?

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Most of the time I don't clench because I salivate excessively. Additional piece of rubber would probably even worsen it. Occasionally I put a pipe in my bear trap while smoking in a car.

I don't care if there are some bite marks on the stem, if I were a confirmed clencher I would be more worried about my teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.