PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
The way my bite is designed, I can't for the life of me clench a p-lip. Any p-lip.
Guess that's why I hate the p-lip too. :?

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Been using them for years. I have small and large. Small suits regular pipes and the large fits the custom pipes with wider stems. If they fit right, there is no extra saliva. Happy labor day and bless you and the group.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tried softies on a few pipes. I found the soft flexible surface prompted me to kind of chew the softie, flex my teeth and jaw against it, which in turn made my teeth and jaw ache a little. But it looked like process that wasn't headed in a good direction. I accept some chatter on my bits, not too bad. I hold a pipe in my teeth mostly to move around or free may hands, but mostly I smoke my pipes in hand. People are incredibly individual. For some softies are perfect. Try 'em and see.
chasing', so true age is not time specific. Some people are eight years old forever, and with some that's horrible, and for others wonderful. Likewise, some are born old irrespective of their life circumstances, and those circumstances change and mark us all. I respect especially people who nearly always look beyond age and can talk to nearly everyone on even ground. Some old folks can draw out a child and elicit ideas that none one else has ever heard from that kid. They just know it's there already.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Took me awhile to get used to them but I really enjoy them now. I buy in bulk off Ebay.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’m sure we all agreed to disagree a long time ago! That’s part of what makes these forums fun!

I’m out on the patio- the house is like a cave since I boarded up for the hurricane. We dodged the bullet this time, but we’re still getting tropical storm force winds.

So right now, I am loading my Peterson with some Escudo and getting a fresh cuppa Java.

With my Softy to clench as I hold my iPad with one hand and type with the other!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Did I say “bullet”?

We were just 80 miles from being cannon fodder!

So now I’m counting my blessings (one pipeful at a time) and considering how to best help the Bahamas without getting caught up by some scam artist...

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I was able to get used to softees after a short time. A couple of problems, however, caused me to switch first to vinyl tape and then back to no covering: (1) Saliva collects under the softee and can stain vulcanite if not cleaned regularly. This is less of an issue with acrylic stems. (2) Softees can be hard to remove from bigger stems, even using water as a lubricant. I broke an acrylic stem trying to remove a stubborn softee. I've decided I can live with a little tooth chatter LOL.

Reactions: oldtoby

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
You can get silicone softy bits on ebay. They come in two sizes and in clear and black. They stretch more than the rubber ones and can easily be removed and used from one pipe to another, so you don't need to buy a whole bunch. I've thrown all my rubber ones away and now use the silicone ones when I want to clench.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm sure someone does. What does she weigh?

I have clenched a few massive pipes, but only for moments in some sort of "emergency". When I walk I'm taking some under 45 Gr.

smokedank

Lurker
Sep 17, 2019
On a slightly different note, I am curious, is anyone able to clench a Savenelli 320?

Yes. It's definitely clenchable. Not as clenchable as the 311 or similar shape, not because of the weight or balance, but because the stem is so wide, it gets uncomfortable for me after awhile.

Reactions: hsnzz

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
+1 ... I hate the feel of the rubber bits, but I love the vinyl tape...easy to use, stays in place, and not only protects the stem, but makes the acrylic more comfortable to me.
Is vinyl tape, like electrical tape in the US? I use heat shrink on the pipes that it fits over and I can see that I bite down quite a bit. I havent had to replace it yet to see if there's been penetrating chatter though the heat shrink yet.

I really do enjoy clenching as it's hands free smoking!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't use softies because they prompt me to unconsciously flex my jaw and teeth against the bit and make my jaw sore. I think it is wise to accept whatever wear you do to a pipe as part of its use. Pipes aren't to re-sell or to enter in a beauty contest. If you create chatter (tooth marks) you are likely enjoying yourself. Well-used pipes shouldn't look new. If you can do acrylic stems, they don't mark easily. Lighter weight pipes will also mark less.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The dry vinyl tape is below. It's non-adhesive, so doesn't leave residue on the stem...just sticks to itself. I've found that it stays in place better if you're careful not to stretch it while wrapping. Works really well.
Con someone post a picture with this vinyl tape.

Interesting combo offered by Amazon!
:oops:

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
Depends how the pipe feels for me. Not so much a weight thing, but balance. A cob can be light as all hell but it just seems to smoke better when I hold it instead of clench. My more pricey pipes tend to be held out of paranoia, but I suppose that will go away as I smoke them more.

Reactions: smokedank
Status
Not open for further replies.