PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I was recently gifted a “Softy” rubber piece for the end of my pipe stem and just now placed it on my Savinelli Sterling Spigot Billiard, which is dedicated to Virginias.
Before, I would always hold the pipe in my hands because I didn’t want to get indentations on the stem. Having the new addition of a rubber end is so nice and comfortable; it just makes me want to rock back and forth in a chair on a front porch somewhere with the pipe hanging out of my mouth. I am currently sitting in my backyard with the pipe in my mouth, a freshly cut lawn, the birds chirping, and the smell of barbecue in the distance, while the aroma of hay from HH Pure Virginia wafts through the air and makes me thankful for all that the Lord has done in my life. Moments like this remind me why I got into pipe smoking.
I hope you all are having a great summer, and a great Labor Day weekend.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I have “Softy” bits on all of the pipes that they’ll fit. Preferably the brand name, since they’re American made!

Others that I have can be bought by the bagful online, but I don’t have much trust for Chinese products, especially since they don’t tell you what they’re made of.

Either way I think it’s preferable to having a bunch of “chatter” on your pipe bits.and you can smoke with both hands free!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I go thru phases with the "softie bits". Lately I've removed the bits because I've been holding my pipes as I smoke. The bits have been tasting nasty lately so I guess it's time to take them off my pipes and boil them in hot water.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm slowly drifting away from clenching. Holding the warm pipe is becoming more relaxing.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Never found clenching easy, comfortable or enjoyable. Tried softie bits at the beginning of my smoking decades ago and didn't care for the feel or the taste.

Reactions: uprightman

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I clench a lot, and tried softie bits, but they don't suit me at all- I tend to clench harder with them, and create more saliva. And I don't like the feel. I don't make teeth marks- to speak of- when I clench-just enough pressure to keep it steady.

Reactions: TheWhale13

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm not a clencher for quite a few reasons.

Needing two hands to smoke means that I smoke less than if I clenched.

At times I tend to salivate when holding something in my mouth.

Teeth chatter looks terrible on a mouthpiece.
Having said that, I have rubber bits on my three MM cobs. They're my outdoor pipes. When driving there are times when one needs two hands which is why I got the rubber bits. They're very comfortable and protect the mouthpiece.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Not a clencher either. I have tried it but it ends up hurting my jaw and I slobber too much!
I like the Idea of the softy bits but never got over the taste they always seemed to leave.

jameshsi

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
clench all the time, friend gift me some soft bits, used it for a while, then I found it sometimes makes me not close my mouth, and I don't care the mark of my pipes, like I don't care mark on my iPhone, so I take off those bits recently, feel nice.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It's not really clenching if you use pipe condoms. You have to get personal with the actual vulcanite or acrylic.

With enough practice you can do this without leaving marks on the stem.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Rubber bits are pretty convenient on occasion. They’ll turn most any pipe into a clencher when you need one.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 jp. I found I was drooling everywhere with those things on my stems.
So what if I've got chatter on my pipes? I've also got dark rims from lots of use over time, so...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rubber bits are pretty convenient on occasion. They’ll turn most any pipe into a clencher when you need one.
Not for me. If the pipe is over a certain weight and or bulk, it's not a clencher. As mentioned, some of us clench without scarfing up the bit, and find the vulcanite more comfortable than the rubber.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've never used softy bits. For one clenching doesn't bother my jaw anymore, and two, I would just chew through them anyways.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Where needed I find vinyl tape or parafilm wraps being much more convenient,these have way less bulky mouthfeel
+1 ... I hate the feel of the rubber bits, but I love the vinyl tape...easy to use, stays in place, and not only protects the stem, but makes the acrylic more comfortable to me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't like clenching as much. And always thought the softee bits where for denture wears though. Seriously I only have ever seen old men buying them. They always seemed like a way to make a pipe extra gross I guess you should clean them regularly or be like the old guys and change them out semi regularly.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Dang, well I’m only 29 and you guys are making me not want to use the Softy bit! Haha.
I’ll practice clenching lightly on my Petersons to see if I can do it without leaving marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.