Zulu Lovers - Does Your Tobacco Burn at an Angle?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Randy Wiley Pipes
12 Fresh Ashton Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
3 Fresh Dirk Heinemann Pipes
New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I'm wondering about zulus. I get it that it's a very nice looking shape.

I'm wondering if you tobacco burns straight across the top of the bowl or at an angle (since the bowl is canted forward)? Just wondering since I often walk about with the pipe clenched and don't want the tobacco to fall forward and fall out. Plus, I'm used to keeping a fairly level layer of tobacco across and near the top of my bowls when I'm smoking. I have a couple of Devil Anse pipes that have canted bowls and the burning layer of tobacco cants at an angle as it burns when I clench. Just wondering what I should expect.
Thanks very much (sorry for any typos)
Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Savinelli 404 and the Rossi 8404 zulu also made by Savinelli have only a subtle cant to the bowl and chamber, so any angle to the burn is not visible. In fact, most straight or only slightly bent pipes smoke with the brim of the pipe at a slight angle as they dangle from your jaw.

I've wondered about deeply canted pipes and if there is a conflict between burning toward the drawing airway and the tendency to burn upward. I guess that's why I don't have any deeply canted pipes. I'd guess the physics of fire is complex and may change as the ember burns.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
The couple zulus I have don't have any issues burning the tobacco. It's no different than a straight pipe being clenched, that might be parallel to the ground either but does just fine.

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
Man i want a Zulu so bad. In my experience with other canted pipes, there is now issue other than sometimes you can't see the bowl while smoking!

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
It is probably how you light the bowl. Flame rises, so if you aim for the middle of the bowl and it ends up on the top side, it will burn uneven.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hadn't thought about it but I smoked this one earlier today and it just evenly burned down the chamber.

20220305_173542.jpg