PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyA

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I actually hate the Zippos lighter made for pipes with the hole on the side. I have to suck really hard just to get the flame down into the pipe. I don't have a lot of experience sucking hard though. :) I just prefer using a regular zippos and tilt it into the pipe and think it works better.
This was really interesting to me. Today, when I stepped outside with my pipe and book, I tried using my old "standard" type Zippo. I found I get along much better getting an even light with my pipe Zippo with the hole in the side... I just hold it over my pipe and draw the flame down. Maybe I'm a "puffer."

I tend to read books about anything I'm interested in, and while my pipe books offer many opinions, they differ quite a bit in their statements and advice. I suppose this is another one of those things where there is no right and wrong. We all tend to wind up doing what works for us. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You mention that the Z-Pipe handles well outside... Is it actually somewhat windproof? I'd like a butane lighter so I could quit squirting fuel into my Zippo every day after I smoke, but so far I haven't found a soft flame butane lighter that will work in the slightest breeze.
Perhaps you could change your method in lighting in a breeze.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I find getting the initial char light can be difficult at times, but one that is accomplished I have no difficult drawing the flame down. I usually end up doing a 2 stage char light
A slight cant to one side helps me a little for the charring light. Regular zippo for me .

Reactions: Hillcrest
I like my zippo, but prefer butane for pipes. I have a cheapo spigot style pipe lighter that's worked great for well over a decade now. Closer to 15 yrs, methinks. Anyway, the zippo pipe insert i had was just gifted to my nephew (as he wanted to try one and loves zippos and pipes), so i jumped on Amazon to try out the Thunderbird zippo pipe lighter insert. Uses butane in stead of zippo fluid, doesn't leak and is odorless/flavorless. Will give that one a go.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Here is my update on my Zippo trial. I bought a vintage brass Zippo with the chimney insert and for good measure I also got a solid brass pipe insert by Zorro. The fluid I used was the black label Zippo one.

I really wanted to love using my Zippo but I tasted the fuel no matter what. I will stick with hemp wick, matches and butane.

Ron Burgundy sums up my experience best:
387FEB08-0A89-4F22-824A-3945651E1FCC.jpeg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My bics ran out of fuel and I had to use wooden matches for awhile. That got tiresome quickly. A friend had left me some zippos. I fueled up a faux scrimshaw one with a ship and lighthouse on it that looked fairly new with old Rossignol fuel. Its still running strong after two weeks. It did take a few bowls to get the proper angle down in the wind. It works well but I may pick up a bic to keep on hand. I don't notice the scent translating into the bowl or tobacco although you can get it in the sinuses for a second or two.

lupy1234

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 3, 2023
Hanover, PA
I dislike zippo for pipes. I taste the fuel. Done everything from reading the instructions to all suggestions online.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Works better if your packing has zero resistance and you lay the Zippo chimney on the rim of the pipe.
Thank you ! That works great ! Although I hold it slightly above the rim or just let the edge of chimney touch the inner rim of pipe. It gives a better, quicker light than bic but I did buy a bic for backup and to have one in the house. It took a few tries to get used to it in the wind but once you get it, you get it. In fact a breeze really boosts the flame a bit. :)

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I’ve almost always had a Zippo in my pocket since I was 15. Reliable, durable, affordable, & iconic. I keep a Bic handy for when I neglect to fill it, but otherwise it’s all I use.
It’s a good idea to let the flame burn off the vapor before putting it to your tobacco, but they simply can not be beat

Status
Not open for further replies.