PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
How frequently do you guys have to refill your zippos? I use bulk naphtha like Country Bladesmith posted above but I don't believe it's really any different than "Zippo Fluid" (although the MSDS for it claims to be a mixture of some chemicals)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Honestly, I’m not sure. Probably once a week, but I’m just guessing.
How frequently do you guys have to refill your zippos? I use bulk naphtha like Country Bladesmith posted above but I don't believe it's really any different than "Zippo Fluid" (although the MSDS for it claims to be a mixture of some chemicals)
I refill mine daily. I have run out of fuel after a couple of days, so now I just squirt a little in there every morning.
Also I don't want fill it, because the fuel burns my skin when it overflows.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's advisable to buy a pack of flints along with the lighter. Flints can wear out sooner than you'd think and when you least expect it. I didn't buy extra flints with my Kiribi and when the one it came with gave out suppliers were out of flints. Stock was finally available only after weeks and a number of charred pipe rims later courtesy of the flamethrower flames of Bic lighters.
loved the advice not the situation. Just thought I should make that clear.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I refill mine daily. I have run out of fuel after a couple of days, so now I just squirt a little in there every morning.
Also I don't want fill it, because the fuel burns my skin when it overflows.
same here if I'am going to smoke I'll squirt a few seconds of stream into the lighter. A few more if I'am planning on smoking a lot.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
I really enjoy my zippo, but turn to my Kiribi more often than not, I like the tasteless butane, and the fact it doesn’t evaporate. I also really like the angled flame.

Zippo has finally got around to making butane inserts for their classic lighter case, but still doesn’t have a soft flame insert. As soon as they do, I’ll be buying one of those.

Reactions: ofafeather

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I still regularly use my Dad’s zippo. He bought it at Ft. Bragg in his way to an all expenses paid trip to Vietnam. The only thing I ever do to it is refill with fluid and occasionally replace the flint. The hinge nor the wheel have ever worn out.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not sure how winter will do anything to Zippo. But in extreme weather conditions, Zippo will perform better than butane due to pressure change and low temp. I just gave up on how long fuel will last in my Zippo. I check it before going out to smoke. Just use Ronsonol since local stores have 'em. Flint, whatever they have at the store. Used to use Ronson red flint, but can't find them. They carry Zippo flint now days. Just noticed Ronsonol is made by Zippo.

Reactions: ofafeather

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Nowadays there’s a little hole in the felt pad that covers the cotton gauze. I think it’s meant for quick refilling, so you don’t have to lift the pad up like the older ones, but it just so happens to be the perfect size to hold a spare flint.
Exactly where I keep my spare! One is enough “on board”. Still ”lift the flap” to fill...

Status
Not open for further replies.