PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Are zippo pipe lighter good for smoking pipe in winter time? I heard the wheel gets worn out quickly compare to the regular zippo lighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ofafeather

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Same mechanicals on each. Neither will wear faster than the other. The different inserts are simply a matter of flame/lighter orientation. Winter, Summer, Spring, Fall - my Zippos preform just fine. Actually, they are better than butane lighters in cold weather.

The wheel never seems to wear out. BUT, the flint will over time. This is not weather dependent. Simple wear item (the flint).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It's advisable to buy a pack of flints along with the lighter. Flints can wear out sooner than you'd think and when you least expect it. I didn't buy extra flints with my Kiribi and when the one it came with gave out suppliers were out of flints. Stock was finally available only after weeks and a number of charred pipe rims later courtesy of the flamethrower flames of Bic lighters.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It's advisable to buy a pack of flints along with the lighter. Flints can wear out sooner than you'd think and when you least expect it. I didn't buy extra flints with my Kiribi and when the one it came with gave out suppliers were out of flints. Stock was finally available only after weeks and a number of charred pipe rims later courtesy of the flamethrower flames of Bic lighters.

My problem is always trying to figure out where I put the darn flints! Plus I just got a kiribi so now I have Zippo. IM Corona and Kiribi flints to keep track of.

Zippo I love because it is basically bulletproof and as close to wind proof as they come. I don’t really like to do the initial lights on the pipe with a Zippo if I can use matches. I just prefer the control of a match. Relights are great though. I never had difficulty in winter.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My problem is always trying to figure out where I put the darn flints! Plus I just got a kiribi so now I have Zippo. IM Corona and Kiribi flints to keep track of.

Zippo I love because it is basically bulletproof and as close to wind proof as they come. I don’t really like to do the initial lights on the pipe with a Zippo if I can use matches. I just prefer the control of a match. Relights are great though. I never had difficulty in winter.
I've a Zippo too, but the fuel evaporation issue is a real pain and the reason I don't use it. I only smoke a pipe once or twice, maybe thrice a week; the fuel would be gone in the meantime.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I've a Zippo too, but the fuel evaporation issue is a real pain and the reason I don't use it. I only smoke a pipe once or twice, maybe thrice a week; the fuel would be gone in the meantime.

Same problem here. These days I mostly use my Old Boy or Kiribi bc I smoke at home sitting on the back porch. Last time I filled the zippo I think I used it once.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Did someone say flints?
Mine took a few months to arrive, and the quality may be debatable, but you can get 200 flints for $2.
Have you had any turn to dust in the package? That sounds like a crazy question, but I got some Chinese flints for strikers once, and I’m guessing they were made of flint powder held together with some adhesive/matrix, and they disintegrated in the package over time.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan

I put 2 extra flints inside the insert under the flap. That way when the flint is gone i always have a extra and a backup in case i drop or loose the first one.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
Zippos are a favorite of mine for sure, they just work. There are some tricks to help with evaporation, but if it really bothers you, hunt up a Nimrod pipe lighter. Same system and ease of use. Sportsman are the funky ones, and Commanders/Admirals are the Zippo type.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I love my zippos and won't be found without one. They fall under a factory lifetime warranty and should anything go wrong (or if you want to have a pipe chimney put into a regular Zippo) just send them in to their repair division. I have sent several Zippo cases in just to get a pipe Chimney put it. The cost to me? Only shipping to their repair facility. Excellent customer service.

I have an Old Boy style lighter that I like but any wind beyond a duck fart will put it out...not so with the famous Zippo Windproof lighter. As for fuel, well they do consume fuel. I just give mine a squirt everyday. It's no big deal for me to take an extra few seconds and fill er' up. Even with flint, wick and fuel consumption over time you'd never reach the money you'll spend on a new Old Boy lighter.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've been using my brass zippo, since new in 2012. The only thing about it, is that it builds up cake just like the pipes. The wheel tends to get gunked up after about a year, and needs a good scraping and cleaning to produce spark.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Nowadays there’s a little hole in the felt pad that covers the cotton gauze. I think it’s meant for quick refilling, so you don’t have to lift the pad up like the older ones, but it just so happens to be the perfect size to hold a spare flint.

Status
Not open for further replies.