PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I was tired of my bic burning my fingers. Based off several posts, I decided I needed a Zippo pipe ligher. First, I tried eBay for a regular style Zippo, but I kept getting outbid. Yes, I am cheap. Zippo will change out the normal insert for a pipe insert free of charge. Finally, I decided it was cheaper / easier / faster to purchase the lighter I really wanted, the brushed crome pipe ligher, with the pipe logo, from Amazon. It came to about $13. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt as much as other guys, but I really wanted the lighter, and it was exactly the style I wanted.
Once I installed the lighter fluid, it lights on the first attemp. When I draw the flame into the bowl, it lights easier than matches. But what about a re-light at the end of the bowl? I put 1/4" of tobacco into the bottom of my deepest pipe. No problem drawing the flame 1 1/2" down into pipe to light it.
Now my life is complete, until I find something else I can't live without.
Winton
http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-200PL-Brushed-Chrome-Lighter/dp/B001OYLC6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306791097&sr=8-1

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I recently got a zippo pipe lighter and I am not a big fan. It does not light the bottom of a bowl very easily and I don't think I get the entire layer of tobacco lit with it to begin with. I also don't care for the fuel smell on it. I have 3 of these cheap butane lighters, they are refillable and you can swap the flint. They always light on the first attempt as well. They are IMCO's from Austria. Here is a link to one:
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=D&srch=DD&item=pro0imco

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Love the Zippo pipe lighter. I cut the wick back a little to get a softer flame and it makes the fuel last a little bit longer as well. (Although I have to go over the chimney with 000 steel wool about once a week to get the crud off, but makes it look like new)

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I too love my Zippo. Unfortunately, I lost the little top piece of the chimney. Not a big deal...but I liked to strike it by running my thumb all the way across. Can't do that as well without the top of the chimney.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Collin, if you send it to Zippo, they will fix it for free. Check out their website.
Winton

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Jan,,,, I recently got the vector pipe lighter butane insert for the Zippo. The little I have used it it has worked well.

I was able to relight at 3/4 depth.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I recently sent Zippo one of my favorite cigar lighters, a "White House" model with a neat history. They put the insert in and turned it around in a week. I think it works great and I love the zippo action feel. Better than a cheap Bic, maybe not, but feels proper. One of my pipes is a craggy top, Boswell freehand and the Zippo isn't perfect for that. But my other flat top pipes light fine, all the way to the bottom. I learned the secret is don't puff too had to drawn the flame down.

I have a few other, less cherished Zippo shells. I recently ordered the "Vector Butane Insert" recommended on another forum. I should have it this week. I'll use in in my travel kit, where I don't have to remember to add fuel so often. I'll report back when it arrives. Bought from this vendor:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/370362013468?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
Here's my White House model:

Status
Not open for further replies.