PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewknick

Lurker
Jul 18, 2012
I am fairly new to the pipe world, and noticed that some people are saying not to use a zippo lighter. I actually used a zippo lighter that was made for smoking pipes. I was just curious as to why people don't like them for the pipes.

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
I have one of the pipe Zippos and it works but I have to say I just like the soft consistant flame from a Bic. The zippo flame is inconsistant because it de- fuels rather quickly.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
from what I have read, some people say that you can taste the fuel in your pipe from a zippo, other say they cannot. Also people have said that the "black can" zippo fluid has less of this apparent taste than others .....say Ronson. However there are the folks who swear by them for pipes. So I think its all a matter of opinion. I have a regular insert Zippo, that I recently sent back to Zippo for the pipe insert. I woudl think that if you left it burn for a couple seconds before lighting you would be fine.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
This debate will continue until the end of time. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us will still be arguing the Zippo vs. butane case while waiting on line for our turn on Judgment Day. I use both types, but I tend to use the Zippo more often because it lights with one flick of the flint wheel every time. If I have to flick it twice it needs refueled. I've had a variety of butane lighters over the years and in my experience the ease of lighting them is inversely proportional to their cost. A Bic lights as easily as a Zippo, and some of the guys with the fancier butane lighters (myself included) have one thumb disproportionally muscular as compared to their other one.
Anyway, you can get Zippos and butanes cheap enough to try both. Eventually you're going to try both anyway.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I use a zippo, if you just wait for literally 2 seconds there is no taste. They offer a cooler bigger flame that stays lit as long as you require, nice and easy. Wouldnt go back!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
There are pros and cons to a Zippo. They do provide an easy, soft flame and the mechanism is rock solid. Unlike my Old Boy or my Xikar Pipeline, the Zippo always lights. There is a bit of a fuel taste that's lessened if you let it burn for a few seconds. The main problem I've found is that it's hard to light the very bottom of the bowl without letting the lighter touch the rim, and that's not a good thing.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You need a few options for changing conditions. Inside/calm days = butane insert in a Zippo case. Wind = only a Zippo will suffice w/pipe insert of course. I'll take a match though, when ever possible.

Reactions: dog_park_piper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally have never used a Zippo to light a pipe. I use my Corona Old Boy with the built in tamper. I like the angle of the flame, I like my tamper attached to my pipe. I am too lazy to carry a tamper separately from my lighter.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Don't forget the old magnified glass.
I find I enjoy using all of the various methods. All have pros and cons. Zippos stay lit and are reliable but you wouldn't want to use it in the car because of this. I've had a lot of Bics that fail to light especially in the wind, matches can be wasteful again especially in the wind, the butane lighters I've used (inexpensive and expensive) tend to scorch the tobacco if your not careful, and a magnified glass needs sunlight.
Probably good to have one of each I suppose. :puffpipe:

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
I have grown to love my zippo for my pipe because of its ease. i do not notice a taste. one winter and wet tobacco ago i left the flame on for far to long and i could taste the fuel but never since then.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have Zippo's but find a 5 pack of Bic's serves the purpose nicely. Cost is about $5.00, and no refilling every other day. Yes the wind can and is sometimes a problem but we shall prevail. Zippos are now a collectable item for me only. Here is the latest one I picked up at a Flea Market/Yard Sale, a Month or 2 ago.
004.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I sometimes use a Bic, but it has no cool effect. It is strictly utility. I enjoy using my Zippo. It does the job well and is fun for me to use. I have not had any trouble lighting at the bottom.
The only experience I have had with an expensive butane lighter was watching a guy at the pipe show trying to get his to work. Load it, clean it, reload, still not work, use Bic to light pipe, reload, keep working, finally achieved working lighter. I had made my final decision about the product at the beginning of the process.
Winton

Jul 12, 2011
Just got myself a new one (making this my third zippo) , pretty

bad arz http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/233942956.jpg
It pairs nicely with my new Boswell rusticated volcano w/blue

pearlized stem (pictures to follow)

mrswims

Lurker
Jul 19, 2012
Personally, I like the sound and look of striking wooden matches. However, pipe Zippos definitely look awesome. Welcome to the forum! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.