PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

piperm

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
Hi, PiperM back as a follow up. To clarify my earlier post,I'v found the two drops of vanilla extract to "neutralize" the fuel flavor.This means make the bad taste that ruins your pipe tobacco flavors mostly unnoticeable,or greatly deminished! I hardly notice the vanilla flavor at all,but do enjoy the flavors of the tobacco more upon lights/relights MUCH more now.Try it,you'll like it! :)

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I own a Zippo pipe lighter. There is nothing more reliable, especially in the wind. The Naptha fuel does have a taste, however and I find I am using my soft flame butane lighter and matches more often. When I smoke indoors I like to use my butane for the charring light and switch to matches for relights...just my weird preference.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I just received mine yesterday but have not acquired fuel yet. Just holding a Zippo makes me feel like I am in high school again.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have been using a zippo for some time and have heard of this but never really had any problems. I just use drug store fluid.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"Then again, many cigar smokers say you need matches only made from a special kind of wood."
I smoked cigars for 35 years (pipes for 50) and lit them with all sorts of lighters and matches. I can assure anyone that the "special kind of match" claim is one big crock.

On the other hand, what several have said about letting the Zippo burn a few seconds prior to lighting is totally correct. :puffy:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Three months since I got my first zippo. No problems with an overly petroleum favor. I love the wind proof thing! Works constantly and $3.50 worth of fluid will last a good long time.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I just ordered one from the good folks at 4Noggins due to the most awesome deal they made us. I never thought about letting it burn a few seconds before lighting but will definitely remember that.

monte

Lurker
Mar 12, 2013
Hello, new here.

I presently use the Zippo pipe lighter (with Zippo black fluid) exclusively to light my pipes. When I started smoking a pipe I did some research as to the best way/source to light it. I read about the fluid issue with Zippos at that time and decided to go with matches. IMO I found that to be too troublesome. I tried a cheap butane pipe lighter, but it only "half" works and was not reliable. I then went with a Zippo and have never looked back. I personally don't notice a fluid taste but I always blow across the top of it after opening B4 I light it. (Just a habit on my part. Don't know if this actually helps.) Very reliable so long as it has fluid and it's iconic.

Status
Not open for further replies.