PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
About 20 years ago I had a multicoloured Beatles zippo when I smoked cigs. I definitely noticed a taste after lighting that quickly dissipated.The zippo fluid was strong smelling whenever I had to refuel. The worst thing was overfilling it.

Now that I smoke a pipe I really wanted to get another one since that one walked off during a night of libations not long after I had it. I must have had it only for a few months since I never needed to change flint on it.

The funny thing is when I searched for that old lighter on eBay and was ready to buy it again I watched a movie called Asteroid City . The main character was a pipe smoker. His car broke down or ran out of gas in the desert and he and his family were towed to the nearest gas station. The movie was set in the 1950s. Anyway, the man goes to relight his pipe after pulling out his zippo and realizes has run out of fuel. He then opens up the zippo and pulls out the insert flipped upside down and presents it to the station attendant who is refuelling his car and the attendant obligingly and without hesitation pours some gasoline into his lighter… He then proceeds to light his pipe and puff away.

After seeing that I chose not to buy one even though I still really want to.

Reactions: jxr182

jxr182

Lurker
Oct 13, 2023
Oklahoma
I have a whole collection of tobacco accessories a bit of a collection. That includes a number of zippos and 80-90s era promotional cigarette lighters. I don’t use most of them but there’s a couple that are pretty sweet.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Zippos look great, feel great and sound great. I have many ones as I seem to be getting them for birthday presents over many years but never use them because I too am sensitive to the fluid taste.

That said, I am a pleb who exclusively uses Bic lighters, and stand by the idea that they are the best lighters in history :P

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I never notice the taste. As stated above, some people are probably more sensitive to the taste (smell).

The ease and reliability of a Zippo are unbeatable IMO. I use both indoors, but outdoors I always have my Zippo. I live on the prairie which means windy, nothing else works while lunting around here.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I follow Zippo's directions. So, for me at least, no taste or, even smell of lighter fluid.
Taste and smell are so subjective, and genetically determined. I’m cursed with being able to smell mold, mildew and sewage better than anyone I’ve ever met.
I guess it was a survival attribute of either my Scottish or Jewish ancestors. I can also smell hydrocarbons and other solvents really well. When I worked in a lab, I could identify them, too. I’ve lost some of that memory.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My sense of smell is pretty acute or, it was when I was younger. And, I found the sense of smell sometimes sf stirred by anticipation. I'd hate to find I've lost it over time as it is so important to one's sense of taste.

Some odors will adhere to the nose hairs. I remember one dead body the smell of which stuck with me for a few weeks. The cleaners couldn't get the smell out of my rather expensive overcoat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbrewer2002

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Taste and smell are so subjective, and genetically determined. I’m cursed with being able to smell mold, mildew and sewage better than anyone I’ve ever met.
I guess it was a survival attribute of either my Scottish or Jewish ancestors. I can also smell hydrocarbons and other solvents really well. When I worked in a lab, I could identify them, too. I’ve lost some of that memory.
I'm thinking of adopting a new Therminator lighter but at $9420.00 its a tad expensive; maybe Secret Santa will be kind ! :

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I get a fairly strong taste from the fluid even when following the tips and instructions. I am also known as having a sensitive smell and taste response.

Reactions: woodsroad

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I am one of those that simply does not have the acute sense of taste that some others do. I have a friend that also enjoys cigars & pipes and has an amazingly keen sense of taste & smell. He is able to detect even the slightest nuance. I myself need to have something that darn near slaps me good before I taste it! 🤪

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Smell only for the most part.
Following those original instructions of old, and focusing on drawing the flame down from further above, does improve the results.
I'm not sure they actually provide those "old" instructions with new purchases...

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
A real pipe smoker--and needless to say, a real man--carries a live coal around with him at all times.
If you're a barbarian man, that is all fine and good. But a gentleman with any semblance of culture only lights his tobacco with natural light amplified by a monocle or in more casual environments, a magnifying glass or loupe. Good day.

• Haha
Reactions: burleybreath

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you're a barbarian man, that is all fine and good. But a gentleman with any semblance of culture only lights his tobacco with natural light amplified by a monocle or in more casual environments, a magnifying glass or loupe. Good day.
Just so happens.....

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just so happens.....

It's in the cart, we'll give it a few minutes and see if i checkout. Free shipping at 75 bucks so i could grab one or two of their cheap clay pipes while I'm there.... I buy more shit that i don't need, this is why i will die poor.

Edit: Well no paying taxes to the government for them to give other people is why i'll die poor.