PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I’ve had the Thunderbird and the Zpipe inserts. As someone mentioned above, my zpipe insert expanded inside my zippo and it took months to get out. I’ve probably replaced my Thunderbird no less than ten times (bc it’s free to replace) and have basically given up on it. Having read this discussion, I’ve got an official zippo butane insert coming now! I guess I’m a sucker for functional lighters.

This past week I’ve been enjoying my lighter fluid pipe zippo. It certainly is the most reliable to light, but the flame seems to just go all over the place and I find my pipe then starts out hot.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve had the Thunderbird and the Zpipe inserts. As someone mentioned above, my zpipe insert expanded inside my zippo and it took months to get out. I’ve probably replaced my Thunderbird no less than ten times (bc it’s free to replace) and have basically given up on it. Having read this discussion, I’ve got an official zippo butane insert coming now! I guess I’m a sucker for functional lighters.

This past week I’ve been enjoying my lighter fluid pipe zippo. It certainly is the most reliable to light, but the flame seems to just go all over the place and I find my pipe then starts out hot.
How do you get a Thunderbird replacement?

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Is there a lower risk of the flame's coming into close proximity with the rim of the bowl as compared to a Sidekick pipe lighter, for example?

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I've got a Zippo butane insert and it works well. I find the butane charge not to last very long, maybe two days. Not sure if that is a function of the lighter or I just smoke a lot. As others have noted, I don't like the fuel smell/taste when lighting a pipe with the regular Zippo insert.

MGAOKC

Might Stick Around
Oct 2, 2022
OKC OK
I also have a butane insert.
Works good for indoor smoking.
It will burn your thumb out in the wind.
Mine holds a good charge and last for quit a while.
Over all good lighter for indoor use.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
That seems like a major enough complaint that I think I’ll skip this.
I've seen a LOT of pipe smokers that somehow lack the coordination to operate any design of lighter effectively.

I've got some Zippo cases that I love but never use anymore because the regular pipe insert presents a flame that's just too large. I may order up one of these butane jobs and unretire my Bradford lighters.

Reactions: umbrella001

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've seen a LOT of pipe smokers that somehow lack the coordination to operate any design of lighter effectively.

I've got some Zippo cases that I love but never use anymore because the regular pipe insert presents a flame that's just too large. I may order up one of these butane jobs and unretire my Bradford lighters.
Have you tried cutting the wick down more? It should help take the flame down.

Reactions: Reggie

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Have you tried cutting the wick down more? It should help take the flame down.
After hitting Post Reply I realized it sounded like I meant the flame itself is too large. Really what I mean is the hole cutout is too large - diminishing the accuracy of the flame.

Edit: I've always trimmed my wick to a nub. It still makes for a completely adequate flame IMO. With the classic pipe insert though - holding it sideways over the bowl- the bulk of the lighter serves to obscure your view of the action.
I think that's what makes using Old Boy/Pipemaster style lighters so pipe friendly.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After hitting Post Reply I realized it sounded like I meant the flame itself is too large. Really what I mean is the hole cutout is too large - diminishing the accuracy of the flame.

Edit: I've always trimmed my wick to a nub. It still makes for a completely adequate flame IMO. With the classic pipe insert though - holding it sideways over the bowl- the bulk of the lighter serves to obscure your view of the action.
I think that's what makes using Old Boy/Pipemaster style lighters so pipe friendly.
Lay the chimney directly on the rim of the pipe.

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Frequently burns my thumb out because I have to keep the button surpressed to use it. That's my only major complaint with it
That's been my experience with it as well. I bought it a few days ago because I thought it would be great to have two different kinds of Zippo pipe lighters but this one turned out to be pretty much useless for me. Also, maybe it's just a problem with my particular lighter but it often doesn't produce a flame on the first attempt. I'd say a Bic is way more reliable in that regard - and, of course, the Zippo wick pipe lighter works every single time

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish