PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
The whole idea of a Zippo is liquid fuel. If you want butane, don’t buy a Zippo. The torches on butane are there because Zippo is a company and companies cater to customers, in this case the cigar smoker.

Love it that they finally sell the pipe insert separately. I mailed them a couple of weeks ago if they could send a brass pipe insert for free. They did it. Haha.

Reactions: ofafeather

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
I've replaced my original Zippo lighter fluid inserts with butane inserts by Thunderbird. I have 5 total at the moment and they've all served me well so far.
I tried to buy two different kinds from their website and was not sent a tracking number. I reached out to them and they never got back to me, after which I believe they cancelled my order, because the charge was removed from my card. I try to avoid Vector now lmao

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I bought a thunderbird soft flame pipe insert.
It worked brilliantly for 1 month and then the spring that holds the closing arm broke so it doesnt keep shut /turn off the gas .
not recommended

i also have a zippo soft flame insert,seems much more solidly built but I find the fact you have to hold the button down to keep it lit a bit awkward to use and its not a pipe angled flame

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022
NC
I also got the Thunderbird pipe insert and it has worked well. Refilling it can sometimes result in cold fingers if I don't properly align the nozzel. Live and learn. Only other thing I'd change is that there is only the one opening on the Thunderbird vs the Zippo original. Here's a review that does a good job of comparing them.

Zippo pipe lighters/inserts

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Lately, I've been smoking cigs more than usual. Always have Bic as backup to Zippo. Bic works very nice for lightening pipe also. Zippo with pipe insert and Bic covers all my tobacco needs.

Smoke Wagon

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2022
I tried a Thunderbird insert and it was awful. Fire came out of the most unexpected places on that one. I now have a zippo butane insert in one of my zippo cases. Works ok.