PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhbard

Lurker
Sep 19, 2013
Sort of like Agnosticpipe, I smoked for a while about 10 years ago then stopped. I just recently re-started. Unlike Agnosticpipe, I found that the tobacco I had saved in a ziplock bag was perfectly moist and seemed just like the way I left it. I AM a bit anal retentive and I always make sure there's nothing in the liner lock of the baggie and that I zip it all the way, etc. I have a suspicion that most here are equally perfectionistic, so I doubt that's the difference. Maybe the difference is that mine was stored in a box away from light in my basement.
All that said, I generally don't like anything consumable in plastic long term. It seems to me that jars would require more space, but I guess it depends on how many different varieties/flavors you keep on hand.
I'm not recommending zip lock bags, necessarily. Just sharing the experience I had. I defer to others' broader experience and will go with a jar at some point.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
No emote for "cut my wrists". The time it takes to send someone a sample or get bulk in bag is already way to long! Can't believe this is even a debate.
Craig

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Sort of like Agnosticpipe, I smoked for a while about 10 years ago then stopped. I just recently re-started. Unlike Agnosticpipe, I found that the tobacco I had saved in a ziplock bag was perfectly moist and seemed just like the way I left it. I AM a bit anal retentive and I always make sure there's nothing in the liner lock of the baggie and that I zip it all the way, etc. I have a suspicion that most here are equally perfectionistic, so I doubt that's the difference. Maybe the difference is that mine was stored in a box away from light in my basement.
Storing away from direct light helps, but I bet the big difference was that you stored it in the basement. I can't speak for you, but my basement gets very damp/humid in the spring/summer and not as dry as the rest of the house in the fall/winter.
Also, keep in mind that just because a tobacco "feels" like it's at the right moisture level, it still could have lost a lot of its magic. I'm not sure how large some of the volatile molecules of tobacco are, but if any are smaller than the pores in the plastic bags, you're losing more than just water/moisture.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you are talking about storing for next year then go jarred if you are talking about keeping it fresh while you smoke it now zip-lock's will work just fine. just returned from a month in europe between a cruise and few side stops and the tobacco I took in zip-locks that returned was just fine.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
If you can smell the tobacco through the container, you are losing flavor. This goes for coffee too (after it has de-gassed). Transfer the tobacco from the bags to jars ASAP, unless you are planning on consuming the tobacco inside of a week. If you are planning on cellaring the tobacco for aging, jars are the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.