PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Stopped at a local Amish farm stand piled high with first sweet corn of the season. The variety is know as butter and cream. Soon as I returned home it was shucked and lightly boiled. What a treat, super juicy and tender slathered with salted butter and devoured right from the cob. Life is good.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Nice!!
We grow silver queen and a couple others I cannot think of right now......we have only been growing it for over two decades. :)
Anyways, our early crop was done a couple weeks ago, some others getting ready now and some about a week off.
We actually do not eat TOO much of it, but we do eat our fair share.
Its amazing how many ways you can fix corn when you have tons of it.
We sell at a stand, feed our animals and give a lot away.
We grow so much just to keep the soil healthy for rotating other crops for animal feed.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If I was a billionaire and could eat Iberico ham, Alba truffles, Beluga caviar, Kobe beef, the finest shellfish, and so forth in any quantity at any time, prepped by a world-class personal chef 24/7, I would STILL eat perfect-condition & prepped corn with a regularity that would become a source of amusement to those who were aware of it.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I’m in Indiana, where sweet corn is abundant and cheap. I’ve taken to cooking it in the microwave - cook a single unshucked cob for 3 to 4 minutes on high power on a plate or just the built-in rotator tray. Let rest for a few minutes to cool, then slice off the non-silk end about a half-inch up from the shoulder, grab the silk end, and squeeze the perfectly cooked cob out of the cut end, leaving the husk and silk behind. So easy, so delicious. (Add 2 minutes additional cooking time to prepare up to 4 cobs at a time).

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I’m in Indiana, where sweet corn is abundant and cheap. I’ve taken to cooking it in the microwave - cook a single unshucked cob for 3 to 4 minutes on high power on a plate or just the built-in rotator tray. Let rest for a few minutes to cool, then slice off the non-silk end about a half-inch up from the shoulder, grab the silk end, and squeeze the perfectly cooked cob out of the cut end, leaving the husk and silk behind. So easy, so delicious. (Add 2 minutes additional cooking time to prepare up to 4 cobs at a time).
That's exactly the way I do it nowadays.............. no more boiling for me............

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Personally I can't stand sweet corn. I wish I did like it. I just don't.
They are not the worst thing I've ever eaten. Peas and sweetcorn together are tolerable with other veg and gravy. But personally I would prefer it if the sweetcorn wasn't there and the difference was made up with more peas.
My wife had a period of ruining many of her dishes by adding sweet corn.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
We just left the best sweet corn in the world from Maryland. Down here, they buy half-ears from the freezer section. I wouldn't feed that to a person. (my 31 year old son-in-law until last summer at our place, had never eaten a fresh ear of corn!). I'll miss you Maryland sweet corn!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sounds great!
Is that +2 minutes for each additional ear?

Reactions: khiddy