Your Very Large Purchase or Your Humongous Cellar.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Fishnbanjo (Sante) who may have been on this forum before he passed away, but was certainly on another forum I was on always posted a picture of him smoking something for the day. He seemingly posted hundreds of pics and I don't think I ever saw the same pipe twice.

I never felt like he was bragging, but I did enjoy seeing the amazing pipes he collected.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I hope I didn't insult the guy who posted that response, but just underscored the boorish motives for some of those posts. Yes, those posts which are simply bragging or repeated ad naseum are in bad form.

Those who post for the edification and pleasure of others are the good guys. Thanks for the replies.
I have to say that I completely agree and perhaps my response was a bit uncivil. Cheers to you and to all of the big cellars, of which I hope to have one that fills a photo one day.

Perhaps we should form a oversight committee?

We could call it the Pre-Post Acceptance Review Board and all posts could be reviewed prior to actual posting to ensure they meet a minimum acceptable quality standard. The rest could be discarded and the member put on notice. Maybe 3 strikes and they are banned

Seriously??

There are thousands of threads on here and I choose which to read, which to skim over and which to ignore. It's not that difficult. I personally have ZERO interest seeing a pic with 18 pipes made by the same maker of the same style for the 30th time on 30 different threads, so guess what? I just skim over it because I know there are others that might take great interest.

Personally, I think this is a silly thread but others may find great interest in it so carry on! puffy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Perhaps we should form a oversight committee?

We could call it the Pre-Post Acceptance Review Board and all posts could be reviewed prior to actual posting to ensure they meet a minimum acceptable quality standard. The rest could be discarded and the member put on notice. Maybe 3 strikes and they are banned

If elected to the Review Board, I pledge impartial assessment of all prospective posts.

Together we can build a fair, friendly and just forum!

(Those inspired to donate to my campaign can PM me for paypal or snail mail instructions).

Aug 1, 2012
For some reason, over the years I have found Americans love to flaunt their real or perceived wealth in whatever manner they can, invariably in as a brash a way as possible. There has to be a reason for this
And Russians, and Chinese, and Italians, and Brazilians, and Mexicans, and Indians, and (gasp) Brits. They all love to. After several years traveling and working abroad I've found that the desire to show off isn't just an American thing. It's pretty much global as far as I've seen.

Apparently you've never met a bloke from Chelsea with their ride all pimped out and out for a hoon. (Side note, Chelsea Tractor is not a term that came by chance...)

Edit: The Indians are about as bad as the Americans for loud "look at me!" bikes.

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
And Russians, and Chinese, and Italians, and Brazilians, and Mexicans, and Indians, and (gasp) Brits. They all love to. After several years traveling and working abroad I've found that the desire to show off isn't just an American thing. It's pretty much global as far as I've seen.

Apparently you've never met a bloke from Chelsea with their ride all pimped out and out for a hoon.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Truthfully I find the "What Are You Smoking" thread more pointless and distracting than any cellar posts. It's a myopic thread where nobody actually talks to one another (probably because few people actually care what anyone else is smoking). What's worse is that it single-handedly pollutes the search engine results for this site. Search on any brand or blend name looking for information and 99 percent of the results end up being from What Are You Smoking and offer no useful information whatsoever.
Yes, this exact problem has been frustrating me quite a bit lately when I'm trying to research a particular blend. I really wish that there was a way to exclude the "What Are you Smoking" threads from searches.

Reactions: Pipelady20 and logs

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I feel like those threads are only really fun for people who have an enormous pipe and tobacco rotation. I ran out of interesting things to post in those threads pretty quickly, because there’s no real point in contributing variations of “Hi, it’s me again! Yet another bowl of Prince Albert in a different color of the same pipe!” over and over.

I’m pretty sure Jim could singlehandedly maintain one of those threads for months without repeating himself, but not me. rotf

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Seems to me, the titles of threads most often indicate the content. If the content doesn’t appeal to someone or even offends them somehow, why not just skip it? Theres some threads I never bother opening and some posters whose posts I rarely read. It isn’t difficult.

If all the things people had negative comments about were removed from the forum, this place would be a ghost town. What, you want three desert island threads per day?

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I like seeing pictures of other peoples cellars and purchases as a relative newbie to the pipe & pipe-tobacco world I find them inspirational and helpful.

I've never got the impression that the pictures are posted to brag, I believe they are posted to start pipe related discussion which is what I'm here for.

Besides pipe tobacco cellars are like mammaries... Once you've seen a few you want to se all the rest of them.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I didn’t buy a single one of them as an investment into anything other than enjoyment.

I am definitely in this school. When I started stashing some tins aside to age, that was what was meant by a cellar. That's why I buy now. Oh, sure, I have a couple I purchased a number of tins of because I found out that they were going away - Dunhill MM 1938 is one of those - or simply because, at the time, I was smoking a lot of it. But the vast majority is a "cellar" in the sense of the word I used, not in the sense a lot of people use it, as a stash to have when Them Evol Bad Guys do whatever it is they are going to do. I buy to age or because I enjoy it and want it on hand; it's not an investment.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
For some reason, over the years I have found Americans love to flaunt their real or perceived wealth in whatever manner they can, invariably in as a brash a way as possible. There has to be a reason for this.

The sociologist (I did study the subject to degree level) in me thinks that perhaps many folks feel insecure for a variety of reasons. Some perhaps came from less wealthy origins or maybe like to inflate their possessions simply to impress their peers. That I grant you is simplifying matters.
A speculation, growing out of this, to some extent, anyway.
Society is changing, rapidly, and publicly. Part of what is changing is gender roles. One sees a lot of evidence, in this forum, and elsewhere, that many American men - and I am sure other folks as well - are not sure what their role should be. We used to regularly see threads in this forum with titles like "What is the manliest tobacco?" or pipe shape, or poem, or what ever. I recall discussions of whether or not women should smoke pipes. I thought all of this was silly, at the time, and still do.
Going along with this change in gender roles has been an attempt to replace all other values with the values of the market place - your worth as a person is related to the amount of money you earn, material possessions, and so forth.
A lot of men have bought into a consumer culture definition of manliness - how much of a man you are is related to how big your truck is, how many guns you have, or, in this forum, the size of your tobacco horde. I think we see some of that here.
These musings are not an attack on anyone; they are merely the musings of a fella who has just passed his 70th birthday, has been smoking a pipe for 50 years, and has been around online pipe groups for over 15, and who laments the attempt to commoditize everything. If you are offended, well, I'm sorry about that . You might wish to examine why you are offended. puffy

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"A lot of men have bought into a consumer culture definition of manliness - how much of a man you are is related to how big your truck is, how many guns you have,"

I see this when discussing bourbon, often folks will say they only drink their bourbon neat (water is for pansies I assume) and at as high a proof as possible. This is despite most reviewers and indeed some distillers saying that a small splash of water often helps release the full range of flavours.

Me, I like mine at around 45%abv with a slight dash of water ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.