PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I get tired of wasting matches in the wind when smoking outside - I can go through a small box in a couple of days. My Zippo works better in the wind for me - and if I let it burn for a second or two before pulling the flame into the bowl, I don't get the lighter fluid flavor hit.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
It's kind of funny you should ask....
Several days ago I started a similar thread noting that I was having a lot of trouble with my Zippo pipe lighter and talking about my new Xikar and how much I loved it. And don't get me wrong, the Xikar is a beautiful piece of pipe-lighting machinery, and I do prefer it over the Zippo - at least for indoor smoking.
But the days are still warm, and the summer nights soft and gentle. I would much rather smoke outside by the creek, or even on the porch. Using the Xikar in even the mildest breeze is an exercise in frustration so I went back to the trusty Zippo. These last couple of days I'm finding that what everyone else told me in my other thread was true - I was over packing my pipe. Now that I've accepted the fact that it's not necessary to fit the whole tin into the pipe at once, I'm getting a much better light with the Zippo.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Matches for inside, Zippo with a butane insert for outside. My Old Boy is when I want to impress someone, so it doesn't get much use.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I honestly hate my zippo pipe lighter and only use it if it is real windy out and I do not have a way to use my IM Corona lighters. The flame is so unwieldy and difficult to control that I hardly every use mine.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I don't like using a zippo because I can taste the fluid and it tastes terrible imo. I have had no problems with butane lighters or bics or matches. If it is really windy, I will light up in my doorway and then go outside.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I have never had good luck with Zippo lighters they always leave a funny taste on my tobacco and I hate constantly refilling them, and while matches are great in the wind they don't do so hot, I personally like Djeep lighters there like a bic on steroids.

~Ron

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Zippos for everything, with or without insert, wooden matches or Bic when I run out of fluid in the Zippo & too lazy to fill it right then.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I love my standard Zippo as a pipelighting mechanism; but I have Bics lying about.

Status
Not open for further replies.