PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Happy Saint David's Day everyone! So, being of Welsh heritage, I have a St David's Day Smoke that I organized for my pipe club this evening. I also made sure I had a bag of Esoterica Cardiff for today (even though it has the capitol city's name, but isn't actually made in Wales). So here is what I'm wondering, from the German, to the Dutch, to the Italians, and the Japanese, so may different nationalities have a pipe smoking history. What is your personal heritage, and have you been able to incorporate any of its pipe smoking history into your own personal consumption?
WelshPride!.jpg

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
I walked into the local "Pharmacy" when I was a kid and they had this big, cardboard display of Dr. Graybow pipes. It intrigued me, and that's where I think the 'seed' was planted in my mind. I don't know the heritage of the owners of the Pharmacy, nor very much about my own heritage. Just an impressionable, American kid.

Reactions: whsergent

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, being Ulster Scot, I should be smoking Rattray pipes and tobacco which I don't. So, don't have the Scottish part covered but do the Irish part with pipes quite well. :LOL:

Reactions: Bowie

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Back about 10 years ago, right after purchasing my first pipe (A nice stanwell bamboo dublin), I figured my second pipe needed to be a Peterson, as although I am also English and French, the bulk of my ancestry is Irish. So I picked up an Aran Apple (86). I still have both pipes, although I have yet to purchase another Peterson. Maybe it's time?

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
American here, as the username implies. I have American blends in my rotation, such as McClelland and Cornell & Diehl, and I recently got a BriarWorks pipe to support American industry.

I am looking forward to the pipe club meeting tonight. By the way, anyone in the Los Angeles area on this forum is welcome to come out.

Reactions: Bengel and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My family owns up to English, Scotch-Irish, maybe Scotch, and maybe Welsh, though the evidence on those last two is somewhat thin. We boast about several Revolutionary War and pre-war Colonial historical ancestors. I think there is probably a wider circle of ancestors and ethnicity, but I don't believe the current DNA kits would shed much light, since I suspect (from seeing other peoples' data) that they don't have good DNA from many areas of the world. So they'd give me back the same partial history I already know. I have a few good English pipes, but no Dunhill or White Spots, which may verify my Scotch thrift. My taste for burley suggests a strong conversion to American culture. My dad smoked Granger continually while I was growing up. I loved my travels in England and Ireland, maybe a little twinge of home country in there somewhere, but still I'm strongly amalgamated into the U.S. American mix.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Well being Irish I think I have it covered with 95% (*) of my pipes being Peterson and smoking Old Dublin every three or four tins...

(*) not done the sums just a wild guestimate

p.s. Happy St David's Day. My sister-in-law is Welsh but this time of the year can be tricky as we're both rugby fans... ...although she knows full well I'll be supporting Wales when they play England

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My relatives came from Lithuania and the Ukraine. I also have some Mongolian in there as my great grandmother had Chinese eyes.
My tobacco and pipes buying have nothing to do with my heritage. I collect mostly American made pipes because they smoke great and I Like supporting our guys. I have never purchased a pipe from any of the Russian states.
My relatives mostly came to America in the early 1900's. One side of the family went to south Africa. One of my cousins from there is a dead wringer for my great grandmother with the Mongolian look as she has the same eyes.

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Irish & German/Hungarian heritage. Both grandfathers smoked a pipe before I was born or could remember. No connections to my daily pipe smoking. I only own 2 Petersons and zero German pipes.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I may perhaps be described as an old snobbish anglophile bastard, when it comes to pipes and tobacco but genetically I am just an inbred Dane, smoking mostly Danish pipes and tobaccos, many of which have anglophile names though. I am not ‘celebrating’ my heritage by smoking on special days. I do however smoke on Thor’s days and Freja’s days, as well as any other day during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.