PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Looking back, what was truly funny is the fact back then nobody even looked at you weird as an 11 yr old kid slapping $3.00 on the counter for a pipe and a pouch of tobacco!
Hah! I had a similar experience purchasing a pouch of SWR. I was nervous as hell, and kept “assuring” the guy at the counter that my Dad had me come to buy it for him.... several times.... even though he did not ask me why I was buying it. :)

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
First experience? When I was about 14, I borrowed one of my dad's (really) neglected pipes, packed it with some of my grandpa's SWR, and tried lighting it with matches. Naturally, a disappointing experience for a kid who had never tried tobacco and thought pipe smoke would taste like it smelled. I had no notion of how to pack, light, or smoke, but I wanted to enjoy it.

Kept up with it for a few months, enough to get the hang of things, but was still looking for a smoother, more satisfying flavor and experience. Plus, I wanted a different style of pipe and wondered if breaking in my own new pipe would produce a better smoke. Bought a Medico (standard smooth billiard) and some Borkum Riff (on the pretext of buying a gift) around the time I turned 15. Breaking in an unsmoked pipe with a different aromatic definitely bumped up my enjoyment a few notches. Didn't look back after my Medico milestone. I loved the flavor and scent of quintissential BR, which I had eventually learned to smoke with proper technique. Also felt comfortable with the look and feel of the classic straight billiard. I "graduated" to higher-quality pipes and blends at college, as most of us do.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Mine was a small Carling, yes a Carling Diplomat bought at JJ Fox in London. The tobacco was a vanilla aromatic which I barely smoked before I gave up for a few years. Still have it of course and it still doesn’t smoke very well...

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
P.Viou Apple. Got it in the 80s and smoked a lot of Capt Black. Broke the tenon when removing the stinger last year, so Norwoods made me a nosewarmer stem (sent a pic of a Radice). Before and after:

2oBL4oB.jpg

X7QjNle.jpg

pharmpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2019
Hmmm, it was a cheapo drug store cob and some Carter Hall. I might have pick up SWRA at the same time, or closely thereafter. It was 20+ years ago so exact details are iffy.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
morgan bones with blood red moon. only been 1.5 yrs. got tired of vape and didn't want to start on cigarettes again. still smoke cig once in awhile, but mostly pipe at home and vape while driving.
You definitely could've picked much worse on both pipe & leaf. BTW, if you like BRM you might try C&D's Dark Cherry Cavendish. It's not as full-on as BRM but it's a nice smoke with a good room note to not alienate loved ones. :)

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I had an "uncle" who smoked a pipe, classic memories of being there for a holiday and him sitting by the fireplace smoking away--back when it was good for kids to be around it. Anyway at age 19 I bought a pouch of Captain Black and tossed it on the propane heater top (just for the aroma) in the apt I was renting. A MM cob followed a month or so later to finish off that batch, still have most of the pipe 32 years later. My first briar, a rusticated Hungarian bent , was picked up in '95 from a tea and tobacco shop in my town. Still smoking that one...

Reactions: vates and kurtbob

Dex

Lurker
Dec 17, 2019
30 years ago. A basket briar pipe and cherry blend, both from the Gatlinburlier tobacconist in Gatlinburg, TN. Still have the pipe.

Reactions: kurtbob

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
My first pipe was a $25 basket special. And the house blend at the b&m I was at. Come to find out it was probably 1q. I found a lot of b&m’s use bulk blends as the house blends and call it a different name. Shady if you ask me.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Mine were a Peterson Army mount shape 106, if I remember that correctly with MacBaren Navy Flake. Both I do no longer enjoy.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I'm certain it was a a MM Legend I smoked from, as for the tobacco... hmm... not sure. It was an aromatic, either The Pipe Room's Enchanted Forest, or Lane 1Q. This was around roughly between 2005-2007.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
About 10-12 years ago. Dr. Grabow obsolete Author with 1Q. Did not taste a thing and burned the crapola out my tongue. Hurt like hell for at least 3 days. To this day, I'm terrified of that 1Q stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.