PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
My great grandmother. She lived in a little house on the side of a hill in W. Virginia. She used to sit in a rocker on the front porch and smoke a pipe as she was knitting or breaking green beans or whatever. Always had a small basket on her lap doing something or the other. And a pipe clenched in her teeth. She sort of reminded me of Mammy Yokum. Wish I knew what kind of tobacco she smoked too. Must have been some cheap RYO tobacco because she didn't have a lot of money, and I don't remember it smelling very good. But she would still do her own milking and churning up until she was in her 80's.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
The strange old eccentric who stood outside the Perkins downtown with his beard, his briar, and his windcap between cups of coffee at all hours of the night. I've been meaning to write up a little vignette on the forum about him.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Joseph Terrell. He was a professional writer who lived up the street from me when I was a kid. Taught me a lot of being a professional writer, and much of what he taught me has stuck with me to this day. I never saw him without a pipe in his mouth either, and he gave me pipe tips when I started at age 13.
Herb Galbraith. He owned the local Tinderbox until he passed away a few years ago. He taught me a lot about pipes and tobaccos in my teens and early twenties.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
The Old man who walked the ugly dog in my neighborhood....that was 6ish years ago...then watching some folks on YouTube clued me in to the world of tobacco

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Grandfather, primarily ... but I suppose reading allot of Sherlock Holmes and other fantasy books (somehow there seems to be allot of pipes in fantasy) ... I also remember watching a game show called "The Match Game" way back in the 70's, I was a small child but remember there was a panelist that was always there and always had a pipe, I always thought it was so cool,

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
My father, followed by my Uncle Joe. In college I had a professor of electrical engineering who smoked a pipe in class with a tobacco that we students described as burning transistors. It was what I later learned was Latakia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dad, former minesweeper skipper during WWII in the Pacific, artist with rope splicing and knots, built the family swing set with fence poles and bolts and fancy rope splicing; took me to the office on Christmas holidays in downtown Chicago, built a sailing pram (blue hull, red sail) in the basement -- a nearly life-long Granger smoker, one pipe at at time, no rotation. When I picked up a pipe in my thirties, I had all the moves long imprinted in my brain.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
This fellow influenced me greatly when I quit the cigs and picked up the pipe.
rromi%2B-%2Bbarbat%2Bcu%2Bpipa%252C%2B1872-1915%2B%25282%2529.jpg

No idea who he is but I resembled him when I had long hair a few years ago.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
When I was little my Dad smoked a pipe, like a lot of guys during the pipe resurgence in the 1970's, he quit smoking before I was 4 years old though. My other pipe role models were the older men I used to see walking around my neighborhood, their pipes always smelled so good. The pipes and the suits the older men always wore really put an image of masculinity in my head as a young boy, I wanted to grow up and be as distinguished and "adult" as they were and I wanted to smoke that warm vanilla tobacco, which I later learned was Captain Black. I still keep a tub of Captain Black around for occasional smoking and remincing.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Jim Heys, a friend of my father, both Englishmen. Jim was like an uncle to me as all my relatives are in England. He always had a pipe, smoked Amphora, Old Port and Borkum Riff. I remember my mother hollering that he was going to break an ashtray banging his pipe on it, he never did. I can still picture a huge Meerschaum Indian Head pipe he had but I can't remember ever seeing him smoke it.

kingjon

Can't Leave
Aug 27, 2013
My best friend's dad. Almost every weekend, we'd hang out until he went to bed; then it would be a free for all. Nice guy, really looked up to him.
Jon

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
My aunt. When ever we visited she'd be smoking a corn cob. Really liked the smell of the tobacco she smoked. No idea what it was. Though after sampling a few blends myself I pretty sure it was the ol' captain black. I remember seeing her in the house with a pipe but don't know if she smoked it indoors our outside...

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
When I was quite young one of my grandpa's sister-in-laws (married to his oldest brother) who was probably close to 80 yrs old at the time, smoked a pipe. We all lived in a valley close to each other. Of an evening we would often gather on their porch. When her daily work was over she would reach in her apron pocket and pull out her pipe & smoke it on the porch.
My grandpa & my dad, several uncles all smoked pipes but I think of them as mentors in life & not necessarily role models.
And I would have to add Lee Van Cleef & the many characters he played in his movies.

ottorank56

Lurker
Oct 4, 2015
Huck Finn, but I also noticed alot of authors were pipemen and of course Hugh Hefner and his girlfriend was Barbi Benton, so...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My other pipe role models were the older men I used to see walking around my neighborhood, their pipes always smelled so good.
It's really a distinctive scent -- hard to confuse it with cigarettes or cigars, both of which smell good in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.