PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
Then you need meerschaum.

What are the benefits of Meer over briar? I always assumed briar is better than everything else, but I've only ever smoked briar and cheap wood that's not briar. I know that some pipe materials don't ghost as bad but I assumed the tradeoff to a lack of porosity would be a hotter, harsher smoke comparatively.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
You have to be sure you are ready for a briar. Take this test to see.

1. Do you know where to put the tobacco?
2. Do you know how to create fire and light the tobacco?
3. Do you know which end do you draw from?

If you answered yes to every question you might be a good candidate for a briar pipe. Probably two. But don't push it. You'll end up owning 246 pipes and wanting more so I'm told. It's called PAD and it happens after you buy two pipes. And you don't know it until it's too late.

Green Hill Hermit

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
What are the benefits of Meer over briar? I always assumed briar is better than everything else, but I've only ever smoked briar and cheap wood that's not briar. I know that some pipe materials don't ghost as bad but I assumed the tradeoff to a lack of porosity would be a hotter, harsher smoke comparatively.
Anything you want to smoke in is the best for you, but if you've never smoked a meerschaum you should try it. Lack of porosity? Meerschaum is VERY porous. In my experience my meers smoke dryer and to the very bottom of the bowl with little to no dottle. And they are fun to watch color over time.

Reactions: mpjetset

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
ASAP. Because it's probably 90% up to the smoker, and only 10% the pipe, you can theoretically buy anything in your budget according to your aesthetic preferences and learn to smoke it well. You will always love that pipe even if it's a $10 basket pipe.

However, your briar will probably disappoint initially. Cobs are a very forgiving pipe, which you've become accustomed to, while you and new briars will need some time together. PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder) can begin with the search for the perfect experience but it doesn't work that way. New smokers can tend to buy one after another, hoping the grass will be greener. If the smoker isn't up to speed yet, the pipe makes little difference.

It won't be your last, and shouldn't be for many reasons.

So, look around and settle on a shape and grain pattern or rustication that you find pleasing. Don't dismiss a Meerschaum or two, or more because they are forgiving, aesthetically interesting, and need little or no rest. Spend what you consider reasonable.

Estate (used) pipes are a great option, and lately we've seen some good buys reported here. A small collection is an option. Pipe retailers usually refurbish estate pipes so they are relatively low risk.

Good luck!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
My first pipe was a briar as I'm sure the same for many.

So.

Immediately! I just keep buying em. Gotta stop.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

lukifer

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota, US
Anything you want to smoke in is the best for you, but if you've never smoked a meerschaum you should try it. Lack of porosity? Meerschaum is VERY porous. In my experience my meers smoke dryer and to the very bottom of the bowl with little to no dottle. And they are fun to watch color over time.
Must be clays I'm thinking of that don't ghost or maybe I am confused in general. I always thought the reason briars ghosted so easily was because of how porous and absorbent the wood is, but that was more of an assumption than anything.

I will probably have to pick up a cheap one and give it a shot for science.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Not better no worse. Just different but largely aesthetics and use. There's a coloring factor which briar does not do. There is a cake factor which meer does not form or need. So the ghosting isn't as much an issue with meer but could happen with some niche blends like Lakeland etc. Depends. I've not experienced that with my meers. Meers smoke as cool as briar. No difference for me. The temp is more to do with the draw and packing and dryness. Meer can be more fragile and is softer material than briar. But you can carve meer into very interesting shapes that I've not seen as many done in briar. I've not had any epiphany smokes where the difference between meer and briar makes rainbows and sunshine appear. That's how I see it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How long would you tell someone to wait until they bought their first Briar pipe? I have a cob but find myself coveting a briar. thanks

-N
Let me say that 90% of an enjoyable bowl/smoke is technique.

Having a briar (or a meer) IS NOT going to magically result in a wonderful or memorable bowl - IF you don't get the basics right.
And an expensive commissioned piece is not going to do it for you over a $10 basket one

When I got back to pipe smoking, I had to satisfy my curiosity regarding pipes made of different materials.
I have briars, mortas, meerschaums (Turkish and African), olive wood, cherry wood, clay, porcelain, gourd calabashes and even an ivory one.

There are differences. But not so discernible that I have a definite preference for one over the others.

What they do is allow me a choice - "which pipe(s) do I feel like smoking today ?"
Much as "do I feel like smoking a Virginia/VaPer or an English/Balkan or an aromatic or a Burley today ?"

I wish you happy smokes with whichever pipe you end up with puffy