PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
A fun question and one that I don't have a definitive answer for. I've got around 35 pipes in my rotation (which is more than I need) and they all smoke well in their own way. For me, I don't really get to know a pipe until I've smoked it about 100 times. At that point, I begin to understand the little nuances that each pipe has and the way it needs to be treated in order to deliver the best smoke.

Having said that, I've been really pleased with all of my Boswell pipes. They smoke consistently well every time. As an avid hunter/outdoorsman, I really enjoy their shotshell pipes. I have a Savinelli 673 that is a joy to smoke and feels great in the hand. I have a variety of MM cobs that smoke wonderfully and are what I reach for when enjoying the outdoors. I could go on, but in the end, it's hard to single out just one.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
If I don't love the way a pipe smokes or looks I won't keep it very long. Not sure I've ever gone over 25 total at a given time.

That said, while it's not my prettiest, this old Reiss Premier 05 (gold foil logo) has never delivered anything less than a flawless bowl full.
Thanks to Lazarus Pipes for fixing the chipped button. That couldn't have been easy to re-attach, but it's held for years now.

image.jpg

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I have a small number of pipes (compared to some here). To keep that number so small, I am pretty ruthless when it comes to weeding out anything that delivers less than a stellar smoke for at least one genre of tobacco. That makes this question hard, because the honest answer is all of them.

To give a better answer, that would go to either one of my MM Country Gentlemen, MM Mark Twain, or my Morgan Bones Arbutus Sitter. Those are the pipes that effortlessly smoke whatever I put in them, and I'm not concerned with what I'm doing with them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lumbridge is right about the MM Zenon. About half my ninety-some pipes fill the bill as old faithfuls, after years of sorting and culling. I have my up-market treasures and my low-end work horses. Most get high marks after years of use. The so-so smokers have mostly gotten traded off for store credit for pipes I prefer, or to active duty military as donations, or to a friend who didn't need smokers, just curios pieces.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
like children they're all the best. Though honestly we know that Mom and Dad love Dave the best. My System Spigot and my Vauen bent Ocean really are the two that give the most consistently great smokes. The Rattrays gives me the best smokes but it's temperamental The Brebbia is great but the draw is too open and I find that mutes some flavors a bit. The Peterson System and the Vauen hit that sweet spot where I can just pack and go and get a good smoke. It does seem like openness of draw is the big factor or more accurately having the right one that agrees with me and the way I smoke.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve started smoking this Peterson clay daily. It’s a small bowl that gives me a good 15 minute smoke. I don’t know how long you’re supposed to rest clays (thoughts, @condorlover1?) but this pipe seems to be up for multiple smokes a day.

If I could only have one pipe though it’d be this Moonshine Cannonball. Everything about it is just perfect for me (look, feel in hand, clenchability, etc.). It doesn’t get smoked as often as the Pete but it’s in regular rotation.

IMG_6845.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’ve started smoking this Peterson clay daily. It’s a small bowl that gives me a good 15 minute smoke. I don’t know how long you’re supposed to rest clays (thoughts, @condorlover1?) but this pipe seems to be up for multiple smokes a day.

If I could only have one pipe though it’d be this Moonshine Cannonball. Everything about it is just perfect for me (look, feel in hand, clenchability, etc.). It doesn’t get smoked as often as the Pete but it’s in regular rotation.

View attachment 239160
The rest period for a clay ia as long as it takes to cool off.