PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I love most of my pipes, but these three probably get the most mileage.

Ser Jacopo Hawkbill - This is the first Ser Jacopo that I've smoked, and I'm hooked. I bought this as an Estate, and it had a sour taste no matter how I cleaned it. I finally found an article by GL Pease about getting rid of the most stubborn ghosts, and I filled it full of activated carbon and put it in the oven for 6 hours. It came out tasting new. I gave it a new shine and was very impressed with the first good smoke. I reach for it any time I want a really open draw.

IMG_5172 Large.jpeg

My namesake. It was my first pipe, and it's still an excellent smoke. I have dedicated this pipe to black cavendish, and it delivers every time.
IMG_4462 Large.jpeg

My Savinelli Luisa Fiammata 673. This is my favorite English pipe. I love everything about this pipe, especially the way the 673 sits in my hand. This is the only shape that I own two of. My other 673 is a Saint Nicholas from a year ago, and I'll tap it into the rotation when it gets cold outside.
IMG_5244 Large.jpeg

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
+1 for the Brebbia Serie 1960 billard. I have one too and I love it. I keep trying to dedicate it to a blend, but it isn't working. I end up reaching for it often, across a variety of blends, and it never disappoints.
It's an amazing pipe! Yeah - I use it for many different blends, but particularly like it for any kind of flake. And I can't believe how light it is! I'm not a clencher, but for someone who is, it would be a perfect pipe.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
My favorite pipe (and I own a good variety) has to be the Tsuge, Tokyo 502. I owned one many years ago and gifted it to a friend who admired it. I recently picked one up again and fell back in love. The Tsuge 502 has a large conical chamber that works well with my choice of tobacco and a look that is rich, organic and timeless. As is my habit, I recurve the stem to fit my preference and I am in heaven. I am smoking my 502 right now and it is the first pipe I reach for every morning. Perfection, to me.
IMG_9945.jpeg

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I have so many pipes that I like for different blends and reasons it's hard to narrow down to just one. I have two mortas that smoke just about any blend well, one is a Mr. Brog, the other a Ranz pipe made by Ron Smith. My Bonfiglioli Hawk Bill and Savinelli Fantasia 673KS are fantastic smoking briars that I go to often. My myriad of corn cobs are the true work horses of my collection though; they all deliver stellar smokes with almost no effort. When I want to smoke Captain Black White I reach for my first briar pipe, a Dr. Grabow Savoy, that brings out the best flavors in that blend every time. My Morgan Bones Calabash pipe is another one that sees regular action. I've been fortunate so far in not finding a total dud yet, but there are one or two pipes that I just haven't found the right blend for as of yet to bring out their true potential.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
If I don't LOVE a pipe it doesn't take me long to get rid of it. I've gone through a lot of estates, and new factory pipes, and currently own just one Savinelli, and a couple of Petersons, Ropps, Stanwells, Tsuges etc. I got rid of an Eltang recently because it just never smoked the way I thought it should (especially for that price!) That being said, every Musico I've owned (around 6 so far) has been a good smoker. Especially this blasted pot, which required zero break-in period. Period. I guess it's my "favourite" pipe, at the moment.
IMG_3005.jpg
I do wish they crafted thinner bits tho, like this Savinelli Punto Oro, which has the most comfortable bit and button of any pipe I've owned.
IMG_3148.jpeg
I love these older Savinellis with razor thin vulcanite bits, though this is the only one I've held on to so far. Of course, a potential downfall of very thin bits/buttons is that this might happen:
IMG_8138.jpegThis was a beautiful smooth Giubileo D'Oro that I sent back after a single smoke.
IMG_3039.jpegIt would have been a contender. What a crying shame!

An honourable mention has to go to my David Huber mini bent razor egg. In fact I probably grab this more often than any other pipe. It's a no-brainer.
IMG_2971.jpg

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Ok, it's been a whole month since I posted my "favorite", and guess what? It's been surpassed.
This is seriously my new best smoker. Favorite for the qualities it gives.
Meet Captain Pete XL90

View attachment 245472
Well I need my noggin checked.
I was just re-looking at this pipe and it's an XL80... not 90.
Sorry if I confused some of you.
And glad I could provide a laugh for those that knew better.
It's still a great pipe.
And due to the generosity of a forum member, I've another one so now there's a pair.
Woohoo!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Well I need my noggin checked.
I was just re-looking at this pipe and it's an XL80... not 90.
Sorry if I confused some of you.
And glad I could provide a laugh for those that knew better.
It's still a great pipe.
And due to the generosity of a forum member, I've another one so now there's a pair.
Woohoo!
I wondered about that but thought maybe there was different number system for Capn' Petes.

Reactions: FLDRD