PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
For those of you who enjoy the power burleys (Five Brothers, Big N' Burley, OJK, Dark Burley, homegrown burley, etc.) what are your favorite pipes for these tobaccos and why?

I love strong burleys, and I've been smoking them in a variety of cobs. Each cob seems to bring out a different quality in the tobacco but I'm not sure I have a favorite. They're just all different. I'm thinking of getting my first briar and I was wondering if you all think any particular shape/size/style/type of pipe is especially well suited to strong burley--and why you feel this way

Thanks!

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have settled on the Country Gentleman. I prefer it to my Apple Diplomats, Legend/Washington or other smaller cobs.

Just the right size. Sweet spot chamber, good feel in the hand and a lite clencher. My personal MM favorite. I own eight of these.
B27A2ED4-2280-4266-95AD-A52D2B63BD42.jpeg
On edit. If it’s a briar you're seeking, choose a wide inner chamber rather than a narrow one. Bob Ranowski, blender of many C&D burleys —made that suggestion to best enjoy his burley blends.

Last edited:

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
For those of you who enjoy the power burleys (Five Brothers, Big N' Burley, OJK, Dark Burley, homegrown burley, etc.) what are your favorite pipes for these tobaccos and why?

I love strong burleys, and I've been smoking them in a variety of cobs. Each cob seems to bring out a different quality in the tobacco but I'm not sure I have a favorite. They're just all different. I'm thinking of getting my first briar and I was wondering if you all think any particular shape/size/style/type of pipe is especially well suited to strong burley--and why you feel this way

Thanks!
I concur with the @Grangerous and the Kate Bob Runowski on the wider chambers. It really gives you the full experience for sure. You get that powerful nic hit, all the robust flavors all at once, and it really makes the experience wonderful. I bought two of the Rossi Rubino Anticos from smoking pipes just for the very purpose. Very wide chamber, conical to the heel, not too shallow of a smoke to be over with too fast, just right. Decently priced too.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I concur with the @Grangerous and the Kate Bob Runowski on the wider chambers. It really gives you the full experience for sure. You get that powerful nic hit, all the robust flavors all at once, and it really makes the experience wonderful. I bought two of the Rossi Rubino Anticos from smoking pipes just for the very purpose. Very wide chamber, conical to the heel, not too shallow of a smoke to be over with too fast, just right. Decently priced too.
Rossi Rubino Antico is a nice looking pipe! I like the Zulu / Dublin version.

About that, I have one Dublin Grabow (meer lined). It’s not a wide chamber. But I’m speaking to the conical aspect. I like the way it loads and smokes. —Narrower to the bottom. Less dottle. Less waste and burns very well. Good looking shape too.

A wide mouthed, conical pipe would make a good burley cooker.

BTW. I’ve stolen borrowed,appropriated, urban foraged the word “cooker” from @mso489

MidnightPuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2020
Ohio
First of all, I'm no longer a pipe smoker. I'm a power burley enjoyer. I tend to go for my MM Country Gent the most when smoking my beloved C&D burleys. I also really enjoy my 320's for them as well. I've only ever smoked five brothers in my grabows and my MM Short Stop, I think that works well.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
No one pipe is singled out as THE pipe. I find burley is always compatible with a cob, no matter its size.
I also use a variety of other pipes to burn one or another of my nicotine rich burleys. I include HH Burley Flake, 5 Bros., Big 'n Burley, Haunted Bookshop, or a mix I've made usually including a D&R or Sutliff burley along with some different VA's and perique...

I use a lot of pipes for multiple blend types, but my favorite Burley Flake #1 pipe is on old Comoy pot with a replacement stem. It has an .88" wide chamber, but in dedicating it like that to one blend, I think it really helps pull some of the nuances to the condimentals out of that flake. But, sometimes I use one of the other non-dedicated pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I detest 100% Burley blends. To my tastes there is just something I really dislike about them. For example, Former Long Golden Flake is a gorgeous wrap around flake that I should love to smoke. However the white burley in it makes me gag and I don't know why.
I am smoking the following Vaburs.
2007-2010-2012 Stonehaven
2012 Mac Baren Old Dark Fired... first release
2007 and 2012 Peterson Irish Flake
2012 Peterson University Flake
2012 Peterson Perfect Plug
2012 Solani 660 Silver Flake
1998,2005 and 2016 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
I am sure I am forgetting some but that list is a good one.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Thanks so much to you all for the suggestions. You all have me looking at pipes with much larger and wider bowls than I have considered before. It's a completely new direction for me.

I'm researching all the pipes mentioned, and I'm watching the estates at blue room, smoking pipes, etc. for pipes with similar forms and dimensions.

I'm looking at several "pots" especially because they seem to be light--I clench---and I always seem to find some for sale.

And a Country Gentleman will be my next cob.

Anybody know where I can read any writings by/about
Bob Ranowski? I'm searching on line and not turning up much. Will keep looking. I know he passed away years back, but I'd love to know more of his thoughts on pipes and burleys.

Beautiful pipe, Morrison Jeremiah!

Thanks again

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah