PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
My barn is my most prized possession (I assume you don't mean people). It was build by a Dutch guy who owned the house before me and he loved his wood and it is timber frame (as is the house). After I bought the place I rennovated it and put my mancave on the top floor and my office on the first floor. This is where all my pipe stuff is - I have a lot of space there to store tobacco since the barn is 1800 square feet on each of two floors. As I said, the guy loved his wood (and owned a very large woodworking company here in Niagara), so the thing has 7 solid mahogany double doors on it. They are a bitch to maintain for me though, but they are beautiful. The only external shot I have of the barn is one I sent my brother this past winter when we were in the midst of a really bad snow storm and I was out shovelling the driveway (5 times in one day!). The barn is on the right.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Peck
I'd love to see the interior space of the barn if you can.
This photo reminds me of winter a'comin in the northeast. Ughh!!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My daughter was in the Air Force and a little while in her duty away from her Gun Ship she drove Chuck Yeager,she mentioned to him her Dad was a vet and in the Navy and would like a Flag that flew over the Arizona week later he gave her a box and said send that to your Dad.Seems that they strike a new flag every day over the Battleship and if you ask you can get one from your Congressman. That and my French Marine Beret are my prize possessions.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I really dont own anything I could not live without. Moved every year or so most of my life. Military moves most of child hood. Just continued the trend on my own after that. 3 years ago I got married, so now everything doesnt fit in one car...
Animals, pipes & tobacco, and my shotgun are the only things I would try to save from a fire. Everything else has been lost at one point or another in my life, so no real attachment.

Dec 24, 2012
Hey Allan, I need to get the wife to take some, which I have been meaning to do. I built a full pub bar up there (including keg tap) and put a 100 inch projection tv. The wood is the most amazing thing, if you like that sort of thing. As with the house, there is not a single nail in the timber frame - it is all just dowells holding the timbers together. It is very rustic - not "luxurious" in the urban sense of the word. Just wood and craftsmanship.
Another interesting point is that the guy was Orthodox Dutch - he didn't drive a buggy (in fact he drove a Porsche), but TV was not allowed in his religion. So neither the house nor the barn was wired for TV anywhere - was quite the challenge to add this later. Not sure why he didn't do this for resale alone. They did believe in technology somewhat - his mother was old and confined to a wheelchair when he built the house so he put in a full elevator for her. In fact, he even put in a separate wood elevator - so you load up the wood onto a dumbwaiter device outside and then the elevator bring up the wood to beside the fireplace in the l9vingroom. But no TV. Yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.