PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks to all. I still have yet to hear a plausible explanation as to how my smoking technique contributes to gurgle, and even more, why my experience is not consistent across all my pipes. Much has been written about the physics, engineering, calculus, etc of the airway, and I expect that is where the greater part of the problem is. There are pipe doctors out there who owe a good deal of their business to correcting these issues.
But then of course, the rest of you don't seem to have the problem.
So the bottom line is : I am cursed. Born under a bad sign. Maybe I need an exorcist.
A couple things I’ve done to defeat wet smokers:

1) funnel the end of the tenon (if it isn’t already)

2) open the airway inside the stummel with a drill bit. Use the blunt end of the bit to find one that is very slightly larger than the airway.

3) open the slot on the end of the button. If this area is tight (to the point of barely fitting a folded cleaner) it will cause turbulence and moisture.

This should significantly improve the smoking characteristics.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I like mine but one thing I notice is many times the chambers look overboard and I don’t like the raw wood on the plateau tops. ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The first thing I would look for is how big the shank of the is. 4.0-4.5 is my minimum. Second is the stem restricted , does it whistle? Next look at the draft hole lined up to the bottom of the bowl. Is it too high, is it too low or off to the side. Will it pass a BJ Long Tapered fluff y cleaner with ease.
Does the pipe have a big bend. You really should get a straight pipe maybe a Billiard, Dublin or Apple.

Next is your tobacco to wet? If iy is dry it some. Don't go crispy dry as that will make the pipe smoke hot and you will lose flavor .
Knowing the proper internals of a great smoking pipe can guide you on future purchases. Good luck,

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.