Your Disappointing Pipe: Ugly, Runs Hot, etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Nørding Pipes
New Accessories
3 Fresh marTelo Pipes
4 Fresh Henri Sorensen Pipes
18 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 7, 2024
I recently got a new Peterson Dracula that had the worst mildew taste, and no matter what I smoked through it, or did to try to get rid of it, it didn't go away. I can only guess that the briar wasn't cured well before the pipe was made. The vendor exchanged it for me, and I have to guess it was just a one off bad one. I never had one like it that was new.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
Just last week. Bought this nice Neerup, he makes two sizes of bent apple (and several styles), and the big ones are around 70 grams, the small 55-60. This was listed at 62 grams on SP.com, but when I weighed it it came in at 72. Big in the hand, harder to clench, seems like a small difference, but wouldn’t have bought it if it was properly listed.

But grown to like it, smokes great, and maybe one day I’ll be in the position to order one custom, the right size. I guess it was meant for me…IMG_2209.jpegIMG_2208.jpeg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a Todd Harris Paneled Lovat Morta I bought from someone here. It's a nice looking pipe, but the walls are so thin, it heats up instantly. I can get through a bowl by holding the shank, but it's damn near a safely hazard.

I suspect my technique has improved some since last using it. I should dig it out and try again. I keep thinking I'm going to buy a thicker walled morta to try, but the urge has not yet struck. I've frankly become a boring traditionally shaped briar guy, for the most part.

1724368565068.png

Forum Sig.png

Reactions: Sobrbiker

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have a Todd Harris Paneled Lovat Morta I bought from someone here. It's a nice looking pipe, but the walls are so thin, it heats up instantly.

I keep thinking I'm going to buy a thicker walled morta to try

View attachment 331689

View attachment 331690
Unfortunately morta DOES heat up more than briar.
But it also cools rapidly
One solution is to get a thick-walled specimen.
And preferably one that is deeply blasted like this Reiner Thilo which always feels cool in hand
IMG_5122.jpeg