PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
@pagan, ha!!! you are lucky, I wish I was doing the same here, too bad I am at work.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Christening a new cob with an old book and some Carter Hall

imag0327-600x336.jpg

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I just got a new country gentleman to break in today. Researching the proper steps as I dont think I did it right with my first one.
@Orley - what did you use to color your cob?
20161008_093127_zpsfdiqczez.jpg

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
Darn, forgot to take a picture of my new Dwarf Cobbit at the Saturday D&D session. A friend bought a gift set for the three of us: an "Elf", a "Dwarf" and a "Shire". Our party conveniently consists of an elf, a dwarf and a halfling. :clap:

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
shutterbugg/mothernature,
Regarding the Old Dominion Virginia Planter, mothernature is correct that we are bringing it back at the end of the year in a "new and improved" size featuring a 3/4" smoking chamber. The Virginia Planter has been one of our most popular models but we have always had limited quantity given the nature of the heirloom Indian corn cobs that we use in which only a select few meet the grade necessary to make a premium Planter pipe. This past Spring we were very fortunate to acquire some heirloom pipe corn seed that was developed during the first half of the 20th century by the corn cob pipe making industry to produce consistent large cobs for pipe making. To meet the industry standard, this corn variety was developed using open pollinated white corn to produce consistently large cobs at least 1.5" thick and of consistent length to produce at least two 2" tall bowls per cob. My brother and I were pleasantly surprised that this pipe corn variety apparently grows very well in our Virginia soils and our harvest this Fall revealed some exceptionally large cobs! From here on out (barring any FDA setbacks), our plan is to produce the Virginia Planter using this pipe corn variety. We also have plans for a couple new pipe models to be produced from this variety as well (again barring any FDA setbacks). Our Laughing King and Chesapeake cob pipe models will still be produced using our heirloom Indian corn. I've attached a pic of what the new Virginia Planter will look like. Hope this was helpful.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Escudo while doing some spring steelheading in Bear Creek in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan a few years ago
welcome

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
shutterbugg/mothernature,
Regarding the Old Dominion Virginia Planter, mothernature is correct that we are bringing it back at the end of the year in a "new and improved" size featuring a 3/4" smoking chamber.
Awesome! Your cobs are the real McCoy (no pun intended). Never cared for the aesthetics of acrylic stems on cobs. I have a couple Chessapeakes, they're great for a quick puff or two, but the short stem makes them burn a little hot, and I had to fish out a 3p nail from the shed because my tamper won't fit down the bowl :D Also had to use superglue to keep the cob from falling off the stem mid-smoke, but for $5 I didn't mind. Can't wait for the Planter to be in stock. Thanks!

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@Pagan Thanks.. It's Missouri Meerschaum, The Elf Cobbit.. From the Cobbit series inspired by Lord of the rings.. You can find it here

Status
Not open for further replies.