PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
Fnding my own tasting notes of different tobaccos from early on and reading them again recently was a surprise. My palette (and not just my smoking cadence) has changed significantly, such that some of the blends I initially found boring or harsh are now entirely the opposite.

Reactions: WVOldFart

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I just remembered one you might enjoy. Back when I owned my own shop I had a woman come it with a pipe she inherited. She was interested in what I though her "ivory" pipe was worth. As you have probably guessed it was actually a meerschaum. It was modern, smoked and not well colored and of not very good quality. I explained to her about meerschaum and told her that it was not really worth very much. She left the shop with a sad face. A while later the phone rang and a female voice said she was the one who had been in that day. I remember how she started the conversation. "You would have me believe....." and from there she dressed me down for trying to trick her and she didn't believe a word I had said. It seems I was trying to "get the pipe" out of her cheap. Actually, I never expressed any interest in buying it. Moral of the story.... I don't know, but there must be one. cray

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I just remembered one you might enjoy. Back when I owned my own shop I had a woman come it with a pipe she inherited. She was interested in what I though her "ivory" pipe was worth. As you have probably guessed it was actually a meerschaum. It was modern, smoked and not well colored and of not very good quality. I explained to her about meerschaum and told her that it was not really worth very much. She left the shop with a sad face. A while later the phone rang and a female voice said she was the one who had been in that day. I remember how she started the conversation. "You would have me believe....." and from there she dressed me down for trying to trick her and she didn't believe a word I had said. It seems I was trying to "get the pipe" out of her cheap. Actually, I never expressed any interest in buying it. Moral of the story.... I don't know, but there must be one. cray
The oral is people believe what they want to believe. You can show them evidence and tell them facts and it still won't matter. People will believe what they want to believe.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
This is a fun thread. Years ago when I decided I wanted to open my own shop there were 4 pipe/cigar stores in the area and they were located in almost a perfect square several miles from each other. Two were owned by a woman who was more interested in selling "gift" items than pipes. Another was so high priced it was absurd. And the forth was owned and managed by a real jerk. So, where did I put my shop? I dropped it right square in the middle of all of them. Shortly after I opened I learned that the 4 shops had a pool going on when I would go out of business. And surprise, surprise; when I finally sold out and retired all 4 of them were out of business.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I think the moral of the story is that women don't want advice, they just want attention.

Reactions: TheWhale13

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Fnding my own tasting notes of different tobaccos from early on and reading them again recently was a surprise. My palette (and not just my smoking cadence) has changed significantly, such that some of the blends I initially found boring or harsh are now entirely the opposite.
How long would you say it took for your palette to change drastically? I'm trying to improve it myself, being a beginner.