PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
eBay.
I've never understood why somebody would really want other people's old "Junk"
But i was broke and needed a stand.
A couple great bargains, 40+ pipes, and a Dozen humidors, stands, Bags, Tampers and such later? Well it's been an expensive month but i gotta say at this point buying new pipe paraphernalia has lost most of it's luster.

Reactions: WVOldFart

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
After reading all the rave reviews everywhere I would look. A few years ago I went way out of my way to pick up a can of the frog.

I think that was about 2014. Just last week I happened upon the nearly full can. I can just now after all these years, almost open it without gagging from the odor, almost.

I can see why they name it after a frog, it smells and tastes to be like something from a bog.

Judging on last weeks test opening, mine should be aged just enough in about 10 more years.

I have not looked at those people with the raving reviews in the same light sense.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I purchased 4 oz of OJK 3 years ago to see if it was as good as some reviewed. I remembering trying it when I first got it and thought meh. Found the jar 3 months ago and gave it another go and after a few more bowl fulls ordered a pound. It may have been a case of it not having time to meld after blending. A great drive into work with coffee smoke.

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I was recently surprised by how much better a well drilled and aged artisan pipe smokes, compared to my factory pipes. I always enjoyed my Stanwells, but recently got an ‘Old Briar’ from Bruno Nuttens. It was so beautiful I had to have it. Suddenly I understood what people mean when they say a blend really “sings” in a pipe. For the first time I could taste the individual components of a blend, and nuances in each. I sat there puffing, thinking ‘holy shit this is awesome.’ I wouldn’t have believed it until it happened. My wallet is headed for trouble now.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
First surprise was that I couldn't appreciate the room note of pipe tobacco while smoking it. Second was that there existed a delightful and interesting community that is as obsessive and passionate about pipes and tobacco as I am.
@wayneteipen Yes I noticed I don't get to smell my pipe baccy while smoking it. This is a shame as I think it smells good and the smell makes me think of living history re-enactment.

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
Morgan pipes, Bone's line. I've two so far and I prefer them as smokers to about anything else I own (only about 20 pieces total, I buy maybe one pipe year). Almost a briar version of the meerschaum with the coloration.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Surprise? That I became a pipe smoker at all.

Not surprised? I chose my favorite tobaccos based on smokeability, not flavor. Ryback vs Briar fox. I love the flavor of briar fox, but prefer the smokeability of the ryback. So that's the one I smoke most these days.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Morgan pipes, Bone's line. I've two so far and I prefer them as smokers to about anything else I own (only about 20 pieces total, I buy maybe one pipe year). Almost a briar version of the meerschaum with the coloration.
Also check out Molina. They're the company Morgan gets the seconds of to make Bones. Similarly priced and sometimes less expensive.