PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
A while ago, I bought a set of 4 of these for a couple dollars at a tool store. While trying a new pipe, I could not get much draw out of it. I was hesitant to take the pipe to my drill press or power drill. But I grabbed one of these and carefully enlarged the hole. Now it smokes much better. Surely a few dollars for a new tool is better than shipping the pipe off for repairs.
Winton
gimlet-tool.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use this for holding small drills:
Lee Valley Pin Vise
That's a bit small for opening airways. Need something that will hold a 5/32"--4MM bit.

I use this one -21106

http://www.micromark.com/heavy-duty-pin-vise,6731.html

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
As far as getting a gimlet, or a few, can someone please recommend the 3 most used sizes.
A "girl friendly" explanation of how to achieve the desired result would also be fabulous :)

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Girl friendly lol, OK let's take a stab at it here. Put pointy, screwy end in shank of pipe until the pointy tip bumps against the air hole that is already there. Turn clockwise until the pointy tip comes out the other end inside the bowl of the pipe. As Ejames said, approx. a 5/32 or 4mm would be the ideal size.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Mine came in a set of the 4 most common sizes. I probably spent $3. Go to a local hardware store and ask one of the older guys there. Either they they would have something like this or something that would hold a regular drill bit. It probably would be easier to find what the other guys suggested.
Winton

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks fellas, I'm off to git me a gimlet or 3 :) I'd love an antique hand-made one but don't like my chances of finding such a thing in the big smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.