PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I must admit I was always a bit apprehensive when it came to getting this tobacco: Samuel Gawiths 1792 Flake. I always heard you either love it or can't stand it. I finally decided to order some of it for testing purposes.
1792Flake1.jpg

The aroma from the tin was awful. The image that came to my mind was some dark back alley of London around the time of the name of the tobacco - dirty with suspicious looking pubs and eateries. My better half agreed with me although her description was "beef jerky".
Much to our surprise the actual smoke was very nice and very tasty. I don't have words to describe it - it is just something you have to experience. My wife said the room note is "great". It also carries a nice nic hit, or should I say nic punch in the face. That's ok, I like strong tobaccos.
I think it is a truly excellent tobacco.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I've always been intrigued by this flake, but knowing it will ghost kinda puts me off of it. Maybe it would be a good candidate for my cob or meer maybe?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Love it. I smoked this exclusively for about 4 years until it became nearly impossible to get. Reminds me that I must seek it out again and stock up.

Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, I have a Lakeland/Country Gent cob dedicated for it , so no worries...

It really is an outstanding blend

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Havent tried it yet. TAD is on hold till the truck get the engine rebuilt. I was smart and stocked up on my VA blends about a month ago but I neglected to include this one.

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
A similar blend to 1792 in terms of strengh but without the topping is GH dark flake unscented

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
A similar blend to 1792 in terms of strengh but without the topping is GH dark flake unscented
Yep, love 1792, and also Dark Plug US, I've never had the flake. Both do have a real nice nic-hit.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Love it. And yeah it will ghost a pipe something fierce. It actually smokes very well in a cob for some reason so it's a perfect candidate for dedicating to a cob.

dienne

Lurker
Feb 6, 2012
Hi. Just smoked a couple of tins some months ago. I liked but not to the point to have it in my usual rotation. Some of you complained about a persistence I never noticed but I'm quite surprised no one mentioned the fact that is absolutely refractory to ignition..... I even tried mummification. No way. So I gave up.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Yeah, though hate is a strong word, that's the camp I would fall into. I love strong tobacs, (bring on the Night Train), but this just didn't register well with me. It's been a few years since I last smoked it, but can't se myself purchasing another tin...

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The "smoking kill" signs came off first. I like to keep one tin of each tobacco I have as a collectible.

Status
Not open for further replies.