PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Three of my pipes are more 'expensive' than the rest, and despite the care I have taken the last two have dropped on the pavement on their first day of use, getting a tiny nick. When it happened with the first I was a bit miffed, with the second I just shrugged and stoically concluded it now 'belonged to the family.'
That is the reason my meer (whenever it arrives) will be a pipe strictly for home use, with no liquor involved.
Well, except for maybe a snifter of cognac ;)

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
The first time I have ever dropped a pipe was yesterday. I had it dangling from my mouth as I walked to table near the stairs to the basement and the dog hit me in the stones excitedly running towards me. I spit the pipe in surprise over the partition and the lit pipe cartwheeled all the way down the stair case spewing ashes. No damage to the pipe; the blow was cushioned by the nice white carpeting. It took over an hour to clean. Thankfully no burn marks. :cry:

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
I have been fortunate thus far in that I have not dropped a pipe. That is very surprising since I fall down the stairs about every other time I use them. On a side note, I kinda want a utility belt now.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
I am too new to pipes to have a horror story about one. As clumsy as I am, it is sure to happen though. Some of these tales of woe nearly brought me to tears...Dunhills, gone forever or nearly broken is enough to get to anyone. :wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I dropped my big David Jones Poker on the concrete garage floor, snapped the stem right at the tenon. I had David make a new stem for it.
Boswell (and others) makes a "fishing vest pipe" with an attached lanyard. If you need to yell "Fish on!", just drop the pipe and start reeling her in.
FishingVestPipeJM.JPG

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Here. . . :|
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/be-careful-reading-this

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I dropped a lit GBD 9438 into the engine bay of my MGB last summer. I was smoking the pipe and decided that would be a good time to tinker with some wiring under the hood. I don't really clench real hard on those pipes, so working under the hood with a lit pipe was bound to be a bad idea. Sure enough, the pipe tumbled into the engine bag, spewing glowing tobacco everywhere. Thankfully nothing burst into flame. Now I steer well clear of anything holding gasoline with a pipe. That would have been a tough one explaining to my wife and insurance company.....

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
I had a member of our club arrive at a meeting a bit early and took a walk along the Hudson River, While crossing an inlet over a small foot bridge he leaned over to look down at the water and his minty pre-trans Barling fell out of his top pocket. It was so well broken in it sank like a stone.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
The first time I have ever dropped a pipe was yesterday. I had it dangling from my mouth as I walked to table near the stairs to the basement and the dog hit me in the stones excitedly running towards me. I spit the pipe in surprise over the partition and the lit pipe cartwheeled all the way down the stair case spewing ashes. No damage to the pipe; the blow was cushioned by the nice white carpeting. It took over an hour to clean. Thankfully no burn marks.
:rofl:

This story had me giggling hysterically at my desk. Thank you for sharing, teufelhund!
Fortunately (unfortunately?) I don't have any pipe dropping stories to share, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
my worst drop was into an ashtray... I had just finished smoking one of my clays on a smoke break at work, I went to tap the ash out over one of the metal ashtrays and didn't realize there was still a cinder in the bowl. Burnt myself, recoiled from the burn, dropped the pipe, it hit the ashtray and shattered. on the upside I had a spare cob in the car, so I didn't have to go the rest of the day without a smoke

Apr 6, 2013
I dropped my first great pipe up about 10 times before it succeeded me to make it unsmokable, walking in the town, sitting in front of the computer and several other ways. >But it was the first time I panicked the most, it sure is horrible :)

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I have had more than one wiggle out of my hands while on the polisher and catapult across my shop. Then I cringe and go retrieve it sputtering curses upon myself for being so careless only to pick it up with not a scratch. Then on different occasions watch a poor placed one lazily roll off a counter from 3ft and land ever so smartly to break clean off at the bowl when it meets the floor. One would be hard pressed to believe how it could happen if someone were to describe it to you unless you had seen it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.