PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

evenflow

Lurker
May 11, 2013
I was in town this morning and decided to pick myself up a new MM Cob, and I figured what better way to start breaking in a new pipe other than to go fishing and have a good smoke. The pipe smoked wonderful, and I had a great morning, even caught me a couple small mouth bass. Unfortunately though as i was getting out of my canoe I slipped, although I caught myself my new pipe also slipped right out of my mouth and into the water and muck! :cry: I think it's going to need some drying time. lol The water doesn't smell very good so i hope it doesn't affect the taste.
Tell me your pipe horror story's have you ever dropped your pipe somewhere you wish you hadn't? Lost your favorite pipe maybe?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have been very careful so far, so no stories from me. However there was a story of a member dropping a cob in the toilet while going pee.........eww. I'm very clumsy so I'm just waiting for me to do something stupid, just hope its not with one of my good briars.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Crap Dar, that was close. I'm heading up north to my trailer this weekend to get it all opened up (first long weekend up in Canada). I'm sure I'm going to do something dumb and a pipe will end up in the fire, I've been thinking about that for days now!!!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Now that's an idea! OK now you have something else to work on with the pipe carving, you could call it "the indestructible pipe" and sell it with the chain integrated into the design!

evenflow

Lurker
May 11, 2013
Maybe even a necklace pipe! It would be the hottest thing since sunglasses on a string. lol

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nothing too bad myself, but one time I dropped my beloved Dunhill.
Fortunately it only fell a few feet onto a wooden deck and suffered no injuries. But for a moment, my heart stopped! (and no adult beverages were involved.)

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Well, I'm currently having a panic attack and reconsidering which pipes I take to a bonfire tonight, so thanks for that...

I dropped my Wellington System on my music fraternity house's front porch freshman year, it had a white spot from the paint that miraclulously disappeared. Kicked myself over it for a long time though.

All my real horror stories involve guitars.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
We need to create something along the same line as the beer hat...but instead it'd just hold your pipe in front of your mouth for you. Perhaps a bowler derby.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Dropped several Cobs overboard, why I always carry 4-5 on a fishing trip (which is every other day). Now no briar drops stand out, but did Drop a cheap meer once. Bounced 3 times across the hardwood floor like skipping a stone on water. Had some lattice work on it that cracked , but the inner bowl is fine. Years later I still look at it sometimes and get mad at my clumsyness.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
maybe we could come up with something like a beer coozi for pipes...
Or maybe a pipe leash!
pipe-strap.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There's always the idea of a chatelaine - it's normally an item of female 'jewelry' from the days before purses, and consists of a belt or belt hook with several chains attached, with various household implements attached to each chain, from tweezers and thimbles to pocket watches and keys. I've been thinking about making a male/smoking specific version with a Czech tool, a waterproof match container, a lighter, tube of pipe cleaners, etc. to be worn with a smoking jacket or vest...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
1993. From the deck of a cruise ship in the Carrabean. Dunhiil. Gone forever.
Ouch! Very sorry for your loss kashmir.
Did you wear black for the rest of the year?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Hey, I've seen a Dunhill recovered from the wreck of the Titanic a while back, when Dunhill was issuing the Titanic commemorative pipe series, with a tamper made from the wood of one of Titanic's recovered deck chairs. The bit was a mess, but the strummel was serviceable. They even knew who the pipe belonged to as it was inside a monogrammed leather shaving kit!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Well, I think it was a Dunhill, but now that I think about it, the ship went down in 1912, so that's a bit early for a Dunhill. May have been a Peterson or Comoy. Anyways, the strummel looked fine. Make for a great restoration project.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Hey, where's that thread on Hemingway feeding dynamite to sharks, just to see em blow up? I think Bradley wrote something bout that couple days ago. Never liked sharks.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Lol.
I have never dropped a pipe, knock on briar.
However, when I had received my first Larry Roush pipe, I had it on my counter in the bag, unsmoked. My wife grabbed something and it knocked my pipe into the floor. The only time I have ever yelled at her, and not on purpose, just out of instinct. However, no damage was done to the pipe thank The Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.