PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An old friend seemingly emailed me, saying he was not where he could buy a gift card for his niece's birthday, and would I do so. So I prepared to pick one up at a store, visualizing about $20, buy a birthday card, and sign my friend's name and mail it to the niece. It turned out the desired amount was $300, and he wanted me to scratch off and send him the pin. So I saw through that and phoned my friend, who as expected was right there at home. Many friends had been contacted, and one had actually spent the money and sent the pin. I realized the gmail email was not my friend's verizon account. There were a few little touches from hacking my friends email, and I hope I am not equally hacked. So beware.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
An old friend seemingly emailed me, saying he was not where he could buy a gift card for his niece's birthday, and would I do so. So I prepared to pick one up at a store, visualizing about $20, buy a birthday card, and sign my friend's name and mail it to the niece. It turned out the desired amount was $300, and he wanted me to scratch off and send him the pin. So I saw through that and phoned my friend, who as expected was right there at home. Many friends had been contacted, and one had actually spent the money and sent the pin. I realized the gmail email was not my friend's verizon account. There were a few little touches from hacking my friends email, and I hope I am not equally hacked. So beware.
Out of the blue today I got three pages of email job offers. I've never used online job search.?‍♂️

Reactions: Ebarber and JOHN72

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
There are truly evil people in this world

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sad we have to suspect everything, and also be careful to not lower the boom on a friend with a legit request. It's a tech minefield out there. Three pages of job offers; that is probably some kind of bait to get your ss number or other personal info. Geese, it's awful.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't heard from the prince in a long time, but he contacted me a lot at work. Those messages must have been lucrative because they continued for about ten years, long after you'd have thought everyone was in on it. Some of the text went on at length, explaining how this money was going to land in your hands. I've heard that many people who got robbed never reported it out of shame.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Scammers are disgusting not only for trying to get your money but also because they waste your time. Because until the ask for money, you have to respond as if they were legitimate.

I once experimented with a woman whom I suspected. I had told her I had no money, so she suggested I borrow it!

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I've been getting emails from foreign "women" asking to meet up or asking my location (one even named a city close to me). Weird thing. Obviously I never replied.

Reactions: jpmcwjr