PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Quick question. I know Yello-bole uses that synthetic brylon material but the more I browse around eBay the more I'm seeing Yello-Boles listed as imported briar. Is this just a common mistake because many sellers aren't knowledgeable about pipes in general or was there a point in time where they really did use actual briar on some pipes? I'm curious because every now and then I'm seeing one that catches my eye and the price is usually nice (often less than $20 cdn)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
You will find Yello Boles made from both briar and Brylon. Brylon was invented in 1966. Obviously pipes made before 1966 will all be briar pipes. And yes, a lot of sellers on ebay have no idea what they are selling when it comes to pipes.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Tuold beat me to it. Yes, Yello-Bole has briar pipes and the ones I have smoke very well. They tend to be on the smaller side, but worth the money in my opinion. Happy Hunting!

beehive

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2017
Thank you, that's good to know. Something about this Yello-Bole was appealing to me. Not that I would buy this specific pipe as it would be almost $70 after shipping and it would need some tlc and a band for the cracked shank, it just made me wonder if it could be legitimately briar. For whatever reason it was in my head that they're a brylon only brand. :?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
KBB, the maker of Yello-Boles and early Kaywoodies have always made briar pipes as well as the Brylon of later years, I have several varieties of KBB briar pipes and they are all great smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.