PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Kinnikinnick

kin•ni•kin•nick or kin•ni•kin•nic (ˌkɪn ɪ kəˈnɪk)
n.

1. a mixture of bark, dried leaves, and sometimes tobacco, formerly smoked by Indians and pioneers in the Ohio valley.

2. any of various plants used in this mixture.
Another usage: This tobacco tastes like kinnikinnick. (It is a bad tasting tobacco)
470176_570804816267816_518862569_o.jpg

dms17

Lurker
Nov 4, 2012
Hmmmm remind me to stay away from that blend. A little hardcore for my pallet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or maybe that's what the Algonquins gave the colonists to smoke while they lit up their

Dunhill Mixture 965 and quietly laughed to themselves behind inscrutable expressions

of stoicism. Much hilarity back at the hogans later.

May 31, 2012
This is a great series you got going on oklansas! Truly top-shelf stuff with the illustrations and layout, I think it'd make a smashing 'lil book!
As for the worde Kinnikinnick, I think it'd be better suited for a different definition, since the literal signification is "that which is mixed or mixture", it may more fit in line with describing a "homebrew" blend that one throws together themselves, or perhaps even to signify particularly good tobacco, touching upon the Indian's reverence for the good leaf as well as the spiritual aspects, just a thought. The word rolls off the tongue and has a mellifluous sound.
Variations: kinnik-kinnik,k'nickk'neck,kinnikinik,killikinnick
The olde worde for bad tobacco is

mundungus - malodorous tobacco,bad or rank tobacco, smelly tobacco : from mondongo, a Spanish word signifying tripes, or the uncleaned entrails of a beast, full of filth.
Somewhat related to mundungus would be the word funk, which in the 17th C. meant to smoke, from North French dialect funquier, funquer give off smoke, Old North French fungier -Vulgar Latin fūmicāre, alteration of Latin fūmigāre, but that word has so many different associations and is still in use today. Interestingly, the word was also used by tobacco farmers to signify mold growth : "Tobacco bulked down in “winter order” during the winter months will funk during the months of April and May if not taken up and hung in the barn to dry out."
Then we have sponk -"Once you have a sponk you may cock your organ (light your pipe) and begin to funk". Sponk was a word in Edinburgh which denoted a match, or anything dipt in sulphur that takes fire or literally a spark of fire and that helps explain how the word evolved into the more figurative "spunk".
Then we have tobacconalian, related to bacchanalian:

... after breakfast, and I was seated in my room enjoying the unspeakable luxury of my first pipe, which, with me as with all confirmed tobacconalians, is a very serious event — what the French call a ' solemnity.'

Likewise, one that enjoys strong tobacco could be called a nicotinian.
At the opposite end, we have misocapnist, one who vociferously detests smoking in any form, and can be used as an adjective suchways: Many governments have set forth upon an ironfisted misocapnic crusade.
All fume gallants must raise a cloud!
Lang may your lum reek!
Smoake!

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Ah!
You called out two of the words that I was going to post later... :cry:
Never fear, I have a few other choice ones remaining.
Oh, and a super shout out to the Grandiloquent Word of the Day group on Facebook. He posts super obsolete words everyday. I discovered group while looking for a picture to post with Kinnikinnick and was thrilled when I discovered that he had done one for that word AND Lunt.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
I smoked a bit of Kinnikinnick in college... I always remembered loving the stuff... tasted a bit like tobacco mixed with dried forest leaves... I was a fan. I always smoked it in a MM mini... mmm....

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Kinnikinnick is a general term for any of the herbal mixtures. Some are rough but other combos are nice. Like one made.from passion flower, bay, and red clover. But ther are literally thousands of combinations to make kinnikinnick.

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
I actually have an order out for bearberry and red willow because i dont think they grow around here. I will make kinnikinnick for use at sweatlodges and powwows.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Red willow is bitter, Bearberry is sweet.

It makes for a good meditation preparation for entering a sweat lodge. Remeber to be careful with a sweat lodge one can passout if not use to them.

If fresh cool water pool like a river or lake is not available, a nice big bucket of water outside to or water hose to rinse off afterward will really be handy. It is good to cleanse the body, mind, and spirit.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
There's an old movie with Charlton Heston titled "Mountain Man" and there's a seen where the mountain men are sharing a pipe with the Indians, Hestons character lates a long aggressive draw makes this terrible face looks up at the Indian trying not to vomit and says, "what's in this pipe"!? To which the Indian replies "Kinnikinnick" Hestons says, "Tastes like buffalo shit"! The Indian replies very nonchalantly "It is".

Status
Not open for further replies.