Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
So I’ve been hunting for a butane soft flame pipe lighter and came out with 2 contenders. As I’ve seen huge differences in taste between gas and butane with my cigars, I think I should try it with pipes too.

Scribe would cost me around 77$ cad and kiribi Kabuto 125$. Xikar got lifetime warranty tho. I did not select old boy as it would cost me 150$ and not xikar pipeline as I’ve seen pretty bad reviews on the forum.

I’m not an heavy piper and smoke like 1-3 bowls per week. I presume Kiribi quality is better but at nearly twice the price with just a 2 years warranty, I’m thinking does it worth it? What do you guys think? Anyone got both?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a Scribe and a Corona Old Boy. Both work well when maintained.

I have noticed with the Scribe that the fasteners (two small screws) will often "lose tension" making lighter use difficult.

The biggest hassle is with the screw that tensions the "opening" of the lighter. You'll pull the lighter open and then the pressure of trying to light the lighter will cause the two halves to snap back shut mid-strike. It's a royal pain when that happens.

I'm curious how many times that tiny screw can be re-tensioned before something strips.

My local B&M guy says that the Xicar guys used to allow him to just swap out units in regards to their warranty, but now they require the unit to be sent in with some shipping costs involved. It was some time ago we had that conversation, so I hope I remembered all the details accurately.

My Old Boy only gets squirrelly when the flint gets short. The Kabuto looks more like a short version of an Old Boy in layout and, of the two, I'd likely recommend that one, based on my experience.

Honestly, though, I'd recommend the IM Corona.

1600039487668.jpeg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I would fork over the extra $25 for an old boy. They are a very popular lighter and with that, you're bound to find some negative reviews.

That is what the internet is built on now.

Consider the number of people who didn't have a bad experience and haven't posted somewhere about it. Also take note of the number of people who have posted excellent reviews of them.

I don't have numbers, but based on time alone, the number of people with old boys vs Kiribi is likely large. Not knocking Kiribi. They get good grades too. It's just perspective.

Contrasted with a few duds... that's a pretty good average, I suspect.

Reactions: Parsimonious Piper

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I'd go for the Xikar personally, I've heard nothing but good things about it. puffy

Recently ordered a Dissim lighter myself, which was recommended to me by a fellow budget-conscious pipe smoker.
I thought it looked quite sturdy, comes with a lifetime warranty and for 30$ it was worth the gamble for me.

Dissim - https://www.dissim.com/

• Love
Reactions: tomatamot

Blackbeard_

Lurker
Jul 31, 2020
Aus
I just purchased my first kiribi kabuto but it came faulty so I’ve sent it in for repair (flame height differed as I was smoking it)

bit if a bad first impression but what do you do.

I’ve also had the xikar pipeline and it’s a piece of junk imo.

I’m using the IMC pipe master now which is great.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I just purchased my first kiribi kabuto but it came faulty so I’ve sent it in for repair (flame height differed as I was smoking it)

bit if a bad first impression but what do you do.

I’ve also had the xikar pipeline and it’s a piece of junk imo.

I’m using the IMC pipe master now which is great.
+1 for the Pipe Master. I have a kiribi also, and both are great. I had an Old Boy for two days before the swing arm broke off, obviously a production/ handling issue, but I returned it and got a Pipe Master which I love.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I'd go for the Xikar personally, I've heard nothing but good things about it. puffy

Recently ordered a Dissim lighter myself, which was recommended to me by a fellow budget-conscious pipe smoker.
I thought it looked quite sturdy, comes with a lifetime warranty and for 30$ it was worth the gamble for me.

Dissim - https://www.dissim.com/

Just a follow up here on that new lighter I ordered. I was already a bit worried when they started sending out e-mails that some lighters leak fluid and some have ignition problems - two problems I'd rather not have with a lighter. Apparently the ignition problem can be fixed easily by watching a YouTube video and they'd take back the lighters leaking fluid as it's considered a hazard.

Of course, mine was defective too and would not ignite at all. I tried fixing it by watching their YouTube video at first, no success. When opening the case I detected that gas was leaking from the bottom of the fuel tube and hence the flame would actually ignite inside the case and melt anything in its vicinity, not being able to escape the lighter case. The plastic encasement of the gas container had already started to melt too - what a mess. Bottom line is that the lighter went straight to the bin - pity.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
There's a reason Xikar gives you a lifetime warranty: You'll need it.

Emphatically this. I've had nothing but trouble with Xikar lighters. Life's too short to take them up on their lifetime warranty, sending the damn things back quickly becomes a full-time job.

Status
Not open for further replies.