PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Don't know if anyone else has one of these, but I recently took a chance and bought one after not having much luck with pipe lighters, and I love it. Works great, and to me it's the perfect design for lighting a pipe.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have a ffriend who has one, they had to send it back twice, I hope you have better luck

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
I have one.
It replaces a whole series of Colibri Pipette and Pipette II lighters (the stick and the larger reservoir version). Colibri quality has gone way down since my first lighters in the early 1980s.
I have not had a problem, but here's their warranty page:

http://www.xikar.com/warranty/
Their claim is: "We are proud to offer our lifetime warranty on all XIKAR products. So, if you feel that a XIKAR product fails to live up to our promise of fit, finish or function, simply return it to us and we will immediately and cheerfully repair or replace your product under our Total Satisfaction Guarantee!"

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
The problems all had to do with the pull open push close part, the first time you could pull it open but the gas wouldnt start, the second time when you pulled it open the gas wouldnt STOP, as far as I know he sent it back about three months ago, its been working since, but its no longer his main lighter

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@jchaplick: Sorry your friend's had trouble with it...all I can say is I've been using it steady for about a month now and have had no problems at all.
The open/close function works very well. The flame adjust along with the angle you are able to get due to the shape of the lighter make it perfect for pipe lighting. Refills very easy also. Important to use premium butane with any of these.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have one that works just fine. I don't use it a lot because I prefer matches. But it is great when matches are not practical. I have not had it a long time so I cannot comment on its durability.
It has the same disadvantage as all butane lighters - it does not do so well if there is any wind. It takes two hands to open it, but that is not a problem for me. Matches require two hands also. The flame adjust is easy to use.
One nice thing about it is that it has a window on the side so I can see if it has any fuel or not, so I never get surprised by an empty lighter.
If you wear a shirt with a pocket it is as easy as a pen to carry around.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Have one. Working perfectly for about four months. Best pipe lighter I've ever owned.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I had one of the Colibri Pipette lighters. I bought it back in the late '70's, and it worked fine up until this year. I guess the valve messed up on it, because it's full of butane, but nothing comes out when pulled apart.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thought I would share my latest experience with this (these) lighters. First let me say that I'm not proud of the fact that it's made in China, but this is the only pipe lighter I've found that works for me (and I've tried several)...and it is the only one I've seen of it's shape and design. I REALLY wanted to use my Zippo pipe lighter originally, but alas, I had to give up on that a while back because it just doesn't work for me...I guess I'm just not skilled enough in that respect. And I'm just not willing to pay $100 plus for a lighter for other choices that are out there.
Back to the Scribe: It worked fantastic for about 2 months or so and then quit working. I promptly sent it back to Xikar, and they very quickly sent me a brand new one to replace it free of charge. Time will tell if this one lasts longer, but I suspect it will because I can tell that the mechanism is much stronger than on the other. I had bought the other at a local B&M, and it was a display model. I suspect that it had been toyed with a bit too much at the store. We'll see. But I am impressed with Xikar's customer service.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@photoman13: Yes, as far as I know there are no other pipe lighters designed/shaped like this. To me this is perfect for pipe lighting. I would like to see an American manufacturer produce one.

kchuck

Lurker
May 18, 2013
A bunch of years ago (twenty? twenty-five?), another pipe-smoking friend of mine had what I thought was a pen... until he pulled it apart and flicked the flint wheel. Then he adjusted the flame by twisting the barrel instead of an adjustment wheel at the bottom. While I think it might have been the Colibri Pocket Pen Lighter, I'd love to hear from anyone that could say definitively.
Oh... and I also love my Xikar Scribe. While the adjustment isn't as convenient as that friend's "pen lighter", it's much more so than a tiny slotted-screw type fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.