PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
Hello everyone! I am generally prefer matches when lighting my pipe, but recently I have run into a misfortune event. I was fishing at a pier not far from my house and had brought my cob pipe and some Lane 1-Q along with the usual matches. The problem was that it was an abnormally windy day, and I must have went through a box of matches without even being able to successfully conduct a char light. Besides being frustrated by the fact that I was having no luck, I was also rather embarrassed as everyone around me was watching. Now a normal man may just suggest that I carry a Bic for such occasions as these, but I am looking for something a little more upscale. I find that when I am enjoying a pipe I conduct myself with more dignity and class for some reason. It truly brings out the gentleman in me. This being the case, I’d like something that stands out a bit more. On top of this, a more classy lighter may invite questions and that may spark a conversation, leading to someone else becoming interested in our hobby.
The problem is, being a Marine, I have a relatively tight budget. I really love the Old Boy, but I simply can not afford to spend upwards of $100 on a lighter. My budget is approximately $50 and the aforementioned lighters have caught my eye, though I am open to other suggestions. The budget is flexible I suppose, as Christmas is not too far away, and I may be able to sweet talk the old lady. What are your suggestions? Also, do you fine members think in a similar manner as myself, or do you just Bic it up? Thank you for your time, and happy piping!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm sure one of your mates can explain getting the match or lighter into the "lee" side of the wind. Turn your body, tuck into the "lee side" of a building, tree, tank, APC or whatever is available. Zippo lighters handle moderate breezes well, adjust the wick, but one still needs to find protection from the wind if it is more than a light breeze. I turn my back on the wind, hunch my shoulder, cup the pipe and lighter with my hands and light. An Old Boy isn't particularly breeze friendly either.
For what it is worth, I use whatever is close at hand to torch off the blend. Bic, Zippo, a flaming stick from a fire, matches, even a friend's cigar more than once. Talk about "ghosting" a blend.

"baby" marines to behave with dignity/class in public during "basic."

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I recently picked up a zippo pipe lighter. So far, I'm not very impressed. I still prefer my cheap butane pipe lighter.
As a guy who came from the cigar world, my best cigar lighter was the ronson jetlite. The Jetlite costs about $4.00 at walmart. My understanding is that ronson also makes a pipe lighter. I would suggest looking into one of those. I believe they run about the same price. If they work anywhere as well as the jetlite, it will be a good lighter. (I don't have one so cannot make any personal observations about them.) It is next on my lighter list.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you're lighting up in the great outdoors, I'd think a Zippo is the only way to go. The other soft flame lighters are no better than matches in the wind. Torch lighters work well in the breeze but may end up charring the briar.

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
I wouldn’t consider myself a “baby” Marine in any shape or form. I am a Corporal, rating to pick up Sergeant as soon as this October. What I meant is that I have noticed that I try to utilize a more broad vocabulary than I do in my everyday life, tend to be more generous, and just overall conduct myself as if I were at a more formal outing, if that makes any sense. Kind of like how a man carries himself slightly different when wearing a suit and tie as opposed to a t-shirt and jeans. I likewise would use whatever is around if that is what gets the job done, but I’d like to treat myself to something decent in quality instead of the usual Bic. I know how to tuck into the “lee side” (though I just learned that term, thank you!) as I used to smoke cigarettes, but on this day I just couldn’t get it to work and it was an overall frustrating experience. It would seem then that a Zippo may be a decent choice. I’d love to hear some other opinions before I make a decision.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I greatly prefer butane for reasons of flavor.
That said, you'd be hard pressed to find an outdoor friendly lighter better than the venerable, dependable and inexpensive Zippo.
I have the Xikar Scribe and I love it. It's a crappy outdoor lighter, however. I picked up an Old Boy from another forum member for almost half price. I love it, too, but it is still a challenge with any breeze. The Pipeline looks like a decent rendition of the Old Boy. Xikar has a good warranty, also.
Lacking in fashion points, the Bic is still hard to beat for outdoor performance, at least in the butane category. With a Bic, I could light a cigarette while driving 50mph over tank trails in a topless HMMWV, back in the day.
I'm not implying one could light a pipe like that, but applying the techniques Warren outlines above should allow success in a more stationary setting. With some practice I'd guess the Old Boy/Pipeline style would get the job done, though.
Now, all of the above just muddies the waters a bit more... :nana:
Get the $1 Bic and carry as a backup. I'd rather look less upscale and still enjoy my smoke!
jay-roger.jpg

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
Ah, I did not see the other two responses until now, as it took me awhile to compose my previous message on my phone. I suppose that it all comes down to personal preference based off of the few comments so far. Perhaps I’ll just have to try out a few different lighters over time!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My reply lost something in the ether. I was not saying you were a "baby marine". The observation was that recruits were usually taught proper behavior in "basic".
I'm an Air Force vet but, even I recognize the Marines as "the few and the proud." I sincerely thank you for your service to our country.

mrslaughter

Lurker
Jul 14, 2019
Ah, I see. Pardon my defensive posture, I was taken back when I read that comment. I apologize if I was hostile in my response. I’d like to thank you for your service as well!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Zippo is the best outdoor lighter I own, for the last 50+ years.

My go to is a BIC most of the time. Have several butanes & all are a PIA.

Thanks for your service.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I mainly use zippo pipe lighter and bics or those long grill/candle lighters sometimes when I'm at the house. I cant stand matches, when I first picked up the pipe I almost gave up on it because of matchs, then I bought a zippo and instantly my smokes became much more enjoyable. That being said I do prefer lighting cigarettes with a match over any other method.

Sep 18, 2015
The Pipeline is a POS, don’t waste your money. I am an Xikar fan but they missed the boat with this one. I have an Old Boy and a Lotus that work well indoors, not so well outside. I don’t like the Napa taste in my pipe tobacco so it’s BIC when outside. I usually face into the wind and use the hand holding my pipe to make a wind block, learned this living in West Texas years ago.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Regular non-pipe Zippo. Does it all, nuff said...
I wish I had gone with a regular zippo instead of the pipe version. I have been rather disappointed with the pipe version. I have to do some serious sucking to pull the flame into the pipe.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Over the years I’ve tried/collected a number of pipe lighters. I don’t care to light my pipe with matches - something about the sulfur smell that I’ve always found unpleasant.

My experience has been that the only reliable outdoor-in-a-breeze lighter is Zippo. With the Zippo I always wait about 10 seconds to put flame to tobacco since even the newer Zippo fuel has that naphtha smell. Plus a basic Zippo is cheap and a can of the fuel lasts me a fairly long time. I tried the Zippo butane insert but it’s no better than any butane lighter in a breeze.

I also have a Xikar Pipeline and have found it to be a very good reliable lighter but worthless in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.