PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
This is a great piece, was it your father’s?
No no, image is from our Australian War memorial in Canberra but I have clear recollections of my father talking about what they smoked. He did the North Africa campaign and then some of Europe and came home. He was getting ready to go back into New Guinea but the war came to conclusion and so he discharged and raised livestock. I still look at his diaries and wonder how the hell he did it, some days are just heartbreaking to read. The men of that era are right up there with the toughest we’ve ever produced, humbled to be a son from one of them.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Many well regarded pipe smoking scientists were horrible people in their personal lives and narcotic addicts. Pipe smokers are just people and generalizing is never a good idea.
Beside Stalin, can anyone name a real monster who smoked a pipe? I can think of quite a few pipe puffing jackasses I've known (present company excepted), but no "big time" bad guys. puffy

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Beside Stalin, can anyone name a real monster who smoked a pipe? I can think of quite a few pipe puffing jackasses I've known (present company excepted), but no "big time" bad guys. puffy
William Dudley Pelley, leader of the largest Nazi group in the US, know as the Silver Shirts. He was class A piece of sub human garbage. He aspired to be the American Führer.

IMG_8830.jpeg

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I don't know. Seeing these old timers saying blends like Barking Dog, and Revolution, which I've had the "Match" version, makes me wish it was all still available. Love those blends but didn't know the history behind it.

Reactions: OverMountain