PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Ok. Lets put this up for discussion. If we were to go back 70+ years and were a Soldier what tobacco do you all think would be the prevalent smoke of the time and group in question?
Asking this because of the recent pipe I had made with WW II style in mind

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
No doubt it would be for the Americans Prince Albert, as it makes a fine roll up cigarette, as well as something to be enjoyed in the bowl. In fact it was originally advertised as such, as a dual use tobacco. I too enjoy it today in both formats. Lucky Strikes too I imagine.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Here's an interesting link to what the Germans were smoking during WWII. Apparently smokes were hard to come by for the soldiers serving the Axis Powers. The higher ups arranged for full cellars from Dunhill prior to the exchange of hostilities in 1939. Then of course they bombed Dunhills in London a year or two later. Bastards.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/89836-where-did-germans-get-their-tobacco-ww2.html
dunhill-2_2180590a.jpg

Duke St., London, the morning after.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am going to assume the OP was referring to American forces.

There are so many American blends that are no longer available, that it's hard to say. Also, was tobacco part of the regular rations issued by the War and Navy Departments? If so, what did they issue? What was available in PXs and naval equivalents?

Without this information available, the original question can't be answered in any meaningful way.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here's a cool article on WWII rations. Looks like 4 pack cigs were in most but I have not found pipe tobaco yet. Of course, the GI's could have stipped the cigs for their pipes.
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/3551-US-Army-Rations-World-War-II

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Prince Albert and Half and Half were the primary smokes for pipe smokers from the US in the war, as they were available at PXs all over the world (to this day, you can see packs or tins of these in museum ships around the country). My understanding is that some of the other blends (Barking Dog, Revelation, etc) were also available at various points, but keep in mind that the variety available to soldiers and sailors depending on both the theater they served in as well as their distance from the supply points. A front-line infantryman might be damn lucky to see a Lucky Strike or pouch of PA, while a rear-echelon supply clerk might have cases of many different brands to choose from.

I think the important thing to remember is that, in WWII, the military planners considered tobacco to be an essential morale booster and went to great lengths to make it available. At the same time, all the tobacco companies did their best to supply the vast military machine, which numbered well over 12 million men by 1945.

Our efforts to keep "our boys" supplied with little luxuries was a big factor in how our troops fought. Bear in mind that our enemies considered themselves lucky to get three cold meals a day and usually didn't get even that after, say, 1942 or so. One of the most interesting ancedotes I recall from a history book was how a group of German soldiers in Italy went into battle against our GIs and weren't very impressed with their ability as fighters. Their attitude changed, however, when they inspected the corpses of some GIs and saw they were wearing wool socks, had lots of food, tobacco, and even chocolate! The Germans had literally forgotten what these luxuries were like, prompting the German who was being interviewed to remark: "That's when I knew we were going to lose the war. We could compete with any nation with such material wealth."

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Prince Albert and Half and Half were the primary smokes for pipe smokers from the US in the war, as they were available at PXs all over the world (to this day, you can see packs or tins of these in museum ships around the country). My understanding is that some of the other blends (Barking Dog, Revelation, etc) were also available at various points, but keep in mind that the variety available to soldiers and sailors depending on both the theater they served in as well as their distance from the supply points. A front-line infantryman might be damn lucky to see a Lucky Strike or pouch of PA, while a rear-echelon supply clerk might have cases of many different brands to choose from.

I think the important thing to remember is that, in WWII, the military planners considered tobacco to be an essential morale booster and went to great lengths to make it available. At the same time, all the tobacco companies did their best to supply the vast military machine, which numbered well over 12 million men by 1945.

Our efforts to keep "our boys" supplied with little luxuries was a big factor in how our troops fought. Bear in mind that our enemies considered themselves lucky to get three cold meals a day and usually didn't get even that after, say, 1942 or so. One of the most interesting ancedotes I recall from a history book was how a group of German soldiers in Italy went into battle against our GIs and weren't very impressed with their ability as fighters. Their attitude changed, however, when they inspected the corpses of some GIs and saw they were wearing wool socks, had lots of food, tobacco, and even chocolate! The Germans had literally forgotten what these luxuries were like, prompting the German who was being interviewed to remark: "That's when I knew we were going to lose the war. We couldn't compete with any nation with such material wealth."

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
" while a rear-echelon supply clerk might have cases of many different brands to choose from."
Way back in my enlisted time we had a term for these guys- REMF : rear echelon mother ......
Haven't heard that term in a long time. :)
I would have guessed Prince Albert. I think the only pipe tobacco the PX carries now is a big tin of Capt Black or Half and Galf
Ill have to take a closer look next time I walk in.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
On the subject of the briar pipe itself, I recall somewhere in Richard Carleton Hacker's The Ultimate Pipe Book he explains how Alfred Dunhill built a loyal customer base during the First World War by sending free(!) pipes to British servicemen in Europe, and providing customer service when these pipes were damaged. I have to believe samples of his mixtures were included also.

Status
Not open for further replies.