PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Rarely we need to add a new kitchen knife. We determined that another paring knife (we currently are down to just one) is a necessary addition to the armory. When it comes to shopping, I'm not really a brand fanboy but I've come to appreciate Wusthof, not the high priced ones but the low end Gourmet line, because they hold an edge really well and sharpen easily with a steel and I find the handles comfortable,
Of course no stores around here stock them, they only stock the high end Wusthofs which are well out my my budget.
I don't want, nor can afford a knife that costs as much as a car payment.
So I ordered a a Wusthof Gourmet paring knife and can't wait for it to arrive.
Pairing knives are probably our most used knives, so $30+ seems a fair enough price. I just hope this one sticks around---our other paring knives had a tendency to "walk away."

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Former line cook of 18 years and Wusthof is my blade of choice. Great steel, good balance, comfortable handle, and used to have a lifetime guarantee.

I have my original set in a chef bag (chef, pairing, boning, and bread) and a block.full of them. I keep a smaller block of other knives for others (so mine don't get ruined by mishaps) and some Dollar Tree.knives in a drawer for when I'm lazy and don't care what happens to them (dishwasher, hard cuts, guests).

The older I get, the more I realize I only need three knives: serrated (bread, tomatoes), chef (larger or.finer cuts), and pairing (everything else).

Fine and sharpe looking knives (no pun intended, but it fits).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Henckels. Not by choice. Was a wedding gift from 25 years ago. Fine knives. Good weight and balance. I prefer to use chef's knife for everything. It handles everything I need to do in kitchen. Then again, a good knife is one I have with me when I need one, and always have Doug Ritter MK1-G2 in my pocket.

Reactions: ChonkyTonks

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Yes, I have quite a collection of Wusthof Classic and love them. My fav blades are 7" Nakiri, 5" Santoku, trimming knife, and 9" chef. I definitely prefer Wusrhof over Henkels, mostly because of the better bolster transition and handle design. For people looking for knives, always try before you buy to find out what's most comfortable the hand for you.

Last edited:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Based on personal experience and conversations with Le Cordon Bleu instructors I used to hang out with I don't think you can find a better quality per price knife than Wusthof.

That being said I'd suggest only buying knives you need and not sets. Not counting steak knives I can easily live with 4 different knives;

1: A classic 3.5" paring knife
2: A classic 5" santoku knife
3: A classic 8" chef's knife
4: A classic 9" carving knife

Professionals will need more but for the average home kitchen the 4 above are all you truly need.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
My wife and I have the three basic Wüsthof Classics in our kitchen, the carving, the chef and a few paring knives. We've had them for nearly 50 years, and they have served us well.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I replaced most of our rag-tag collection of sub-par quality kitchen knives with a set of Wusthof Legendes about a year ago. They are outstanding knives. I especially recommend the Super Slicer and 10" Double Serrated Bread Knife.

39476.jpg

Classic Ikon 10" Super Slicer​

36324.jpg

Classic Double Serrated Bread Knife​

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have a Wusthof Ikon chef which does not see a much use as my Japanese blades.
It's an excellent knife. The Japanese blades are much lighter.
Just a matter of preference.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Our kitchen knife collection now consists of 25 year old USA made Chicago Walnuts (serrated bread, filet, and Chef,) Lamson Rosewoods(serrated meat, paring, and slicing) and Wusthof Gourmets (.Santoku and paring.)
Entirely adequate for our needs.
But now I want a tomato knife. Sheesh!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Some years ago I had a Kyocera ceramic tomato knife which was excellent.

I made the mistake of telling my wife she should use it instead of HER set of blunt ones.
Then some months later it stopped slicing well - having lost the majority of its serrations :mad:

SHEESH !
And that is what my "guest" block and "drawer" knives are for.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I have a large Wusthof Ikon collection (Blackwood, Classic, and Crème handles), along with some from the Epicure line, and a set of Legende steak knives. If you have any questions just send me a message or let me know in here. I am a big fan.

You do not want the Gourment line, you want the forged line. So look at the following Wusthof series:

Classic
Classic Ikon
Epicure
Legende

I also have several Miyabi Hibana knives, and those are great too.