Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

May 26, 2024
When I read about "shark activity is on the rise", that is just "not correct". In '45, most of the subs were on lifeguard patrol between Tinian and the mainland, and dad simply told me, "the sharks got there first" when bomber crews had to ditch into the sea.

• Wow
Reactions: jguss

ItsKarl

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2024
Norway
As a submariner with 28 years of service I never once came across a sailor that showed signs of claustrophobia. My theory is that they were way too busy to let their fears dominate what needed to be done.
Usually very cramped sleeping quarters on naval vessels. If you have claustrophobia, you're not going to have a good time.

We had it quite roomy on the mine layer I was on, six men to the cabin, two triple stacks. I liked the snug feeling. Although every single solder point in the bunk above me had broken, and every time the guy occupying it was turning in I could see the metal bottom bending towards me. After a few months I stopped worrying about it collapsing on me.

One time we were docked in Stockholm, and the Vasa Museum had a Russian WWII sub on display on the outside. I realised then that I'd had no idea what the meaning of cramped was before.

Reactions: Donald Horst Jr.
May 26, 2024
I always wondered for the longest time who my father named my brother Ed after, and my father quickly answered that his favorite cigars were Prince Edward cigars.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 26, 2024
There's a U-boat on display in Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry...as well as an actual coal mine shaft.
Ich hatte Freunde in Kiel and die hatten mir personlich ein Uboot dort gezeigt. Translation: I had friends in Kiel and they had shown me personally a Uboat there. Und einer von meinen Freunde zieht und spricht genau wie ein Uboot Kapitan. And one of my German firends looked and spoke exactly like a Uboot captain (or a "Kaleun" which is simply a contraction of "Kapitan Leutnant" which means "Captain Lieutenant")

ItsKarl

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2024
Norway
Usually very cramped sleeping quarters on naval vessels. If you have claustrophobia, you're not going to have a good time.

We had it quite roomy on the mine layer I was on, six men to the cabin, two triple stacks. I liked the snug feeling. Although every single solder point in the bunk above me had broken, and every time the guy occupying it was turning in I could see the metal bottom bending towards me. After a few months I stopped worrying about it collapsing on me.

One time we were docked in Stockholm, and the Vasa Museum had a Russian WWII sub on display on the outside. I realised then that I'd had no idea what the meaning of cramped was before.
Damn it and blast. I meant triple bunks, not stacks. 😣

Reactions: Donald Horst Jr.