PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I received a tin of '07 Christmas cheer in a trade not long ago as an add on. I heard very little about it but that little bit was good. I checked reviews and it said the same as I've read on here, a slight vinegar smell that reminds you of ketchup or catsup which ever. When I opened the tin there was nothing slight about it. Are McClellands and Heinz partners or something? Does this odor cross over to the smoke? Can I dip chicken nuggets in my pipe afterwards? Is this a good blend or should I pass it off to someone at McDonald's?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The ones I've tried all have a similar ketchup note. Then you have a good amount of members on these forums that hate it and constantly wine about it over and over. :crazy:
I think it's safe to say that a lot of their blends will yield the same result.
Light it up and see for yourself. Never made my pipe smell like ketchup so I think you're safe.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
McClelland's have some very fine Virginias. Personally, I've never smelled any condiment sauce. I smell sweet quality tobacco. 8)
If the smell is off putting, leave the tin open for a day and it will diminish. Don't let the tin note stop you from trying some of their blends! :puffpipe:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's part of the aging process of the tobaccos. McC does not vacuum seal the tins. If you don't want to smoke it, I will be glad to take it off your hands - no charge. :D

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I have the same problem with almost every aro I have ever tried to smoke, I can't stand the smell of them out of the tin it's just to sickly sweet for me, with that being said I hold my nose and dive in. Theres only been a time or two the aro was actually to sweet for me. Ignore the smell and start puffing, of you hate it pass it if you love it then congratulations!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"There's no Va in FMOTT"
According to tobaccoreviews.com it contains Virginia, Latakia and Turkish.
As far as the McClelland vinegar smell, I think it's less noticeable when the Virginias are mixed with latakia or when they're stoved (like the 221b Arcadia blend).
Personally all my favorite blends are from McClellands, so I guess I've gotten used to it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first began smoking a pipe I bought a lot of Ashton and McClellend blends based on recommendations from friends. I started with Ashton Black Parrot and Brindle Flake, McClellend Christmas Cheer 2001, 2002, 5100 red cake, Frog on the town and Frog on the bayou and 2045 Oriental. I liked the flavor of all of them, but the straight Virginias would burn my tongue no matter how slowly I smoked. I thought I was doomed to never enjoy a Virginia Flake until I tired a 5 year old tin of Orick Golden Sliced. That one tin opened my eyes to a world of VA flakes that do not burn my tongue. I have not looked back and I traded all my McClellend and Ashton Virginia's years ago.
The ketchup smell on their Virginia's never bothered me because it never translated into the taste of the blend. I picked up a sample of a house blend at my local b/m recently and the minute the smoke hit my tongue the acid burn was totally apparent. I called the tobacconist and asked him if he used McClellend VA's in his blend and he confirmed that he did. It must be my body chemistry because I know they make quality stuff and there are thousands of loyal fans.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
To quote the ever-knowlegeable Mr. Tad Gage in response to the review of Wilderness I penned for the main-site:
However, I must really take issue with your characterization that the mixture contained “no hint of the characteristic McClellands ketchup smell.” McClelland produces hundreds of blends, from straight Virginias to Oriental mixtures to aromatics. The ketchup/barbecue sauce/currant/raisin flavor is characteristic only of their heavily stoved, caked and sliced tobaccos such as Dark Star, Christmas Cheer or Blackwoods Flake. This is a direct result of the intense and intentional stoving process used for selected blends, but is by no means “characteristic” of McClelland blends. It is also a completely natural occurance caused by the stoving, aging and caking process, and something that frequently occurs with Virginia tobaccos over the course of many years of tin aging. It is not contrived by the use of flavorings or any artificial processes.
While many people enjoy the McClelland blends that feature this fruity intensity developed through aging and stoving, it is by no means “characteristic” of McClelland blends that employ Virginia tobaccos.
He then goes on to say:
As anyone who does some cooking knows, heat and pressure have the ability to transform ingredients from one thing to something completely different. A tough and terrible pork shoulder roast, cooked slowly for hours, can transform into something totally soft and delectible. And think about Perique, which is basic Burley tobacco that under tremendous pressure and with sufficient aging, transforms into a completly different tobacco. Clearly, the same is true with Virginia leaf. It can range from bright flue-cured to something dark and unctuous that is quite different from the original product. My point is, as you noted Kevin, is that the processing makes all the difference. Like a restaurant that might grill steaks at 1,200 degrees for a few minutes and also offer brisket slow-smoked for 16 hours, meat is not simply meat, depending on how it’s cooked. One needs to classify a tobacco “restaurant” on its ability to play with all the variations, but shouldn’t be pigeon-holed for one particular style.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I stand corrected.
I based my statement on there being no vinegar odor in McC stoved Virginia blends (which is contrary to Tad Gage's assessment quoted by Schmitz) on their 221b Arcadia blend. To me it doesn't really have a vinegar smell and I've always considered it a stoved Virginia. Perhaps it's not "heavily" stoved, perhaps I'm just used to it.
I'll defer to Gage's knowledge and try to do some more research.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I think you are onto something Bigvan; but I suspect it is more to do with the blending and preparation of the so-called "Balkan/English" style blends...perhaps it's something to do with the pressing? Where is Tad Gage when you need him?!?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't like the smell of catsup....

But, if it smells like some screaming hot-sauce... that would be cool. (pardon the pun) :twisted:
da-bomb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.