stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Always!

pipe-cap-2-450x600.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have to confess a deep and abiding love for goofy hats, but I never indulge it in public. Unless it's a Glengarry, and I'm at a Celtic Festival.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Found a leather tricorne that I'm debating buying to see if I can pull it off, but a smoking hat? No.....no no no. And Stan, love that meer!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
smiley-laughing014.gif

See Avatar?
I'm a Fedora kinda guy when I wear one. No relation to smoking or not, just cause it accents my natural "cool and sexy"

6rluma.jpg

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I used to have a ball cap that had flames on it, but it was never actually on fire or even smoking. Some things are better left to the imagination I suppose, especially when you are trying to hold on to what hair you have left.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Dutch, maybe if you stopped holding on to it so tightly, it'd stop fallin out :wink:

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I can tell by your outfit that you are a ------!
fill in the 6 blanks with one of the following OR come up with your own.
P I R A T E , B A N D I T , P A R S O N , M U S L I M , P S Y C H O , CO W B O Y ,

O U T L A W , S M O K E R, G O O B E R, B A N G E R , I N D I A N, , M E N T A L ... (your turn)
A smoking Cap wearer definitely fits the description of some of these! IMO

hoo

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Smoking hats and jackets were popular in the Victorian and Edwardian eras, and were intended to be worn while smoking in order to keep smoke out of one's hair and off of one's formal jacket. After dinner, it was often the practice for the men to retire to the smoking room for cigars/pipes and brandy, while women would retire to the parlor for conversation, music, etc. Once the evening came to a close, the men could remove their smoking jackets and hats, and be less likely to offend the delicate nasal passages of their wives.
The smoking cap is based on the Tarboosh, a round hat worn in many areas of the Middle East and Africa - taller versions became the Fez, invented in Morocco and part of the dress code in the Ottoman Empire at various times. In the Ottoman Empire, the classic red/burgundy color was restricted to Muslim males, whereas Christian or Jewish men could wear black or dark blue. The smoking jacket is based on earlier dressing gowns, shortened up and made out of Asian silks and velvet. They remained popular until relatively recently, though there's been a slight uptick in sales lately (along with waistcoats and bow ties).
For my own Steampunk costuming needs, I've got several amusing fezzes (both tall and smoking cap style) from Fez-O-Rama, but since I do the bulk of my pipe smoking outdoors, my smoking jacket is actually a military surplus M-65 field jacket, and I've only recently acquired a proper fedora. :wink:

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I would bitch slap anyone wearing such a hat at a pipe club and would consider my civic duty for the day done.
If I had a pipe club, you would be well paid :rofl:

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Also it's funny to see a lot of the youtubers who wear smoking hats. Well, they are not really wearing smoking hats. They are just wearing props. i Lolz at them :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We started watching "Meet me in St. Louis" last night. This was billed as a Christmas movie, I saw no reference to Christmas in the first 30 minutes, of what to that point was an awful movie.
But, there were two great pipe scenes. In one, the Grandfather, wearing a red, unadorned Fez, lights and smokes a giant meer in the kitchen for a family discussion.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I wear a hoodie, unless big trucks drive by, I switch real quick to a NASCAR hat. One that sits real high. If it ain't cold I go bald headed. I pretty safe that way. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.