Would McClelland Sell Their Recipes and Methods?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As to 5100 specifically and the sudden disappeance, that one blender is apparently still crying about, my memory is that they thought they had an alternate source lined up, took delivery of a bunch, taste tested it, and threw it out. The had no intentions of leaving any of their accounts in the lurch. I believe @pipestud posted something about this at a time when it was still unclear (including to them) that they would shut down completely.
Exactly so. They spoke to this in the letter they posted at the time of closing. They had tried to make a final batch of 5100 with the leaf they had found. It didn't turn out well and was consigned to the trash.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Can't believe we are still talking about this issue. Isn't there anything else you whiners could talk about?
One thing I've learned in 30 years of talking on the internet, going back to 14.4 BBS's, is that people aren't nearly as concerned about being right as they are about being heard. Conjecture has no real consequence, and spell check makes folks seem more educated than they actually are.

But to sum up and answer the OP's question again - "no".

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Can't believe we are still talking about this issue. Isn't there anything else you whiners could talk about?
It is my resolute theory that language was invented in order to register complaints. If we don't whine, what use is language? Nothing, I say! As for other topics of grievances, per @logs, please see all other threads in this forum.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One thing I've learned in 30 years of talking on the internet, going back to 14.4 BBS's, is that people aren't nearly as concerned about being right as they are about being heard. Conjecture has no real consequence, and spell check makes folks seem more educated than they actually are.
heard herd

Spell check is a nuisance.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
And while I'm asking for things, I'd like to ask JD from Country Squire to call up Mary McNeil and say "sorry" for saying mean things about McClelland on his podcast and then Mary would also have a chance to "sorry" too for past misunderstandings and then maybe they could go to Cinnabon together for coffee and talk about pipes and be friendly again. After that he'd talk to Mike McNeil and patch things up there, and maybe then Mike would consider that retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be and JD could speculate on how it would be it would "maybe kinda be fun" to collaborate on something... maybe a new blend? Mike would then grumble about how inadequate today's leaf is and how it "really isn't up to standards" but that maybe he could come up with something... you know, some limited edition thing just for kicks--but that JD would have to do most of the grunt work. Nothing too serious mind you, I'm not talking Dark Star here, just a light aromatic, easy smoking kinda thing. And for old time's sake Mary would draw up some folksy tin art so it would look like something out of a Mark Twain story.

Easy, fun--it could work. That's what I'm asking.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
And while I'm asking for things, I'd like to ask JD from Country Squire to call up Mary McNeil and say "sorry" for saying mean things about McClelland on his podcast and then Mary would also have a chance to "sorry" too for past misunderstandings and then maybe they could go to Cinnabon together for coffee and talk about pipes and be friendly again. After that he'd talk to Mike McNeil and patch things up there, and maybe then Mike would consider that retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be and JD could speculate on how it would be it would "maybe kinda be fun" to collaborate on something... maybe a new blend? Mike would then grumble about how inadequate today's leaf is and how it "really isn't up to standards" but that maybe he could come up with something... you know, some limited edition thing just for kicks--but that JD would have to do most of the grunt work. Nothing too serious mind you, I'm not talking Dark Star here, just a light aromatic, easy smoking kinda thing. And for old time's sake Mary would draw up some folksy tin art so it would look like something out of a Mark Twain story.

You just ate a couple of gummies and are fantasizing I think.

• Haha
Reactions: logs and mingc

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Not going to happen but I could make it into a movie.

Reactions: logs
Status
Not open for further replies.