PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasatch

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Purchased a pipe off Ebay. Admittedly, I am relatively new to pipes. Wondering

if I should take issue. Pics that I took are at the end of this post.
Description:
This lovely and very large Jobey Florentine Extra has very few flaws. The rim has no dings or char, the "Jobey link" is in good working condition as is shown. This patented connection between stem and shank made for a three piece pipe, with a threaded shank, a tenon which screwed into the threaded shank, and a stem which fit over that reverse tenon by simple clockwise twisting. Some minor discoloration to the stem and some overbuffing, mostly on the model name "Florentine" are the only flaws I see. This patent era Jobey bears the patent on the Jobey link originally granted to Wally Frank, Ltd. in 1969 and designed to permit replacement of a broken tenon by the pipe's owner easily. The heavily rusticated Florentine finish feels excellent in the hand, and it sits beautifully without a wobble.
As you will see from the dimensions below, this pipe is substantial without being overly heavy, and has a bowl of normal diameter but excellent depth, almost reaching the "chimney" shape. The minor cake has been left in place to speed break in, but there is little to no ghosting in this pipe. All in all, an excellent pipe sure to make its new owner very happy."
Pics that I took of the bowl, which looks really gouged and to me, in not so good of shape.
gouged_zps7abeabb4.jpg

there also seems to be a small, crack on the outer bowl, which looks to be on the other side of where the deep gouges are. Maybe tough to see the small, hairline like crack from the photo.
slightcrack_zps5126fa4d.jpg

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
That almost looks like a hotspot/soft spot, leaning towards full on cracking and burnout. it may be fixable, but I'm not knowledgeable or experienced enough to tell. Sometimes I know you can fill it in with ash mud. Hopefully a resto guy will weigh in, but that looks worrying..

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive done some repair work on these with JBWeld and/or Briar fillings from sanded tops of other pipes mixed with superglue.

wasatch

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Thank you gents for the advice. I contacted the seller and hopefully this goes smoothly.

wasatch

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
seller responded and says that he can't tell what I am talking about from the photos. Unreal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
See if ebay will handle the issue. If they side with the seller, it is a lesson learned. I deliberate so long on buying

a pipe, I just don't want to invest the additional time to struggle with ebay issues, but it's true, people land some

wonderous deals on the 'bay. For estate pipes, I'd deal with smokingpipes.com or a comparable retailer. You spend

more money but you get a pipe you probably will want. You could send your pipe to a repairman (or invest comparable

hours of your own time restoring it) but there go the savings from buying an estate pipe.

wasatch

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
Fortunately, the seller has agreed to refund me upon receiving the pipe back. He still seems to disagree with me, but did respond that he would include my picture when he goes to resell this pipe on ebay.
This guy has sold quite a few pipes on ebay and I find it difficult to believe that he could write the description, given the

current condition of the bowl.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You have to be careful on ebay and no matter what the description it's always buyer beware. I've seen people say "new un-smoked pipe" and you can clearly see that some have been attempted to be cleaned and others cake build up in them. I definitely stay away from those sellers. I use pictures more than anything, and if the seller has blurry pictures then I don't bid. I use the description as a guide, but use the pictures as the ultimate decision to bid. No matter what the description says, if the pictures don't show all aspects of the pipe, especially the stem and the bowl then I don't bid. I always look to see if the seller has sold pipes before as well as accept returns.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The bowl of a used pipe often looks like yours did. A simple reaming will usually bring it back to workable condition. If you find that there is a crack all to the outside, you lose. I look at ebay as sort of a gamble. It's a win or lose situation. Don't bet more than you can afford to lose.
Or...you could avail yourself of the ebay guarantee. "this pipe is not as described"

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ive only gotten burned a couple times on ebay. I now rely on pics and a few awesome ebay sellers *cough * Pipestud *cough* and do alright.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Several rules that I follow and break at my peril:

1. Never bid on a "no return" auction. Despite the claims of sellers, photos are NEVER enough. You don't really know what you have until it's in your hands.

2. Never bid on an auction with poor photographs.

3. When in doubt, but still intrigued, contact the seller for better pictures, or for an explanation regarding something you see in the pictures provided. If the seller doesn't oblige, DO NOT BID!

4. Ignore the seller ratings. Some of the worst snakes I have encountered on eBay have 100% approval ratings. Yes, people are that stupid.

5. Check the sellers' feedback. Sometimes you may see unwelcome patterns of behavior, like procrastination in sending out purchased items.

6. Check the seller's terms and conditions. Sometimes you can spot a real mental case by the language they use to state their conditions.

7. If the deal looks too good to be true, it is.

8. Be skeptical of write ups. It's the seller's job to make a pitch. It's not your job to catch it.

9. Expect the unexpected and be prepared to make a decision regarding it.
The vast majority of sellers on eBay are honest. But there are a lot of crooks and psychos as well. EBay has improved methods for dealing with both seller and buyer abuses. While it's nowhere near perfect, both sides have more options, though less absolute leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.