PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
My worst smoking experience was Esoterica's St. Ives. Two bowls and I returned the remainder to my B&M.
Second, that Mixture 79 potpourri stuff
Third, Sutliff African Queen - tossed the bag into the trash can outside the local Golden Corral. Made the drive home smokeless.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Davidoff red mixture and C&D autumn evening...however, both ended up being dumped into my workshop blend along with leftovers and dried out piles of everything else, and I caught familiar notes of both of them when they caught alight in a bowl. APart from blends with perique which seems to affect me badly I have not yet found anything I cannot enjoy when 'watered down'.
Isaac

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Davidoff red mixture and C&D autumn evening.
Funny you say that MB, I read some people wax poetic about the Autumn Evening here and decided to get some, and,
YEEECH!
Hack! Spit! *Choke!*
Like you, I won't throw it away but will experiment with mixing it with something else to smooth it out a bit--- maybe some dried autumn leaves.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Taste is definitely subjective. The only tobacco I have ever dumped without finishing the bowl was Sutliff's Court of St. James. It was just awful. Crooner comes to mind also, but I endured 2 or three bowls in different pipes before I gave up on it. Borkum Riff was at least smokable if you could get past the tongue bite. I liked the room note, back in the day, lol.

Sep 18, 2015
I've tried a few that I don't really care for that much, mostly aro's. The only thing that I've given up on and thrown out was a pouch of John Bull that was sent as part of some promo, I tried, I really did, I think I smoked 4 bowls of it, I just couldn't get past the metallic taste and dumped it in the yard.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
For me it was"Hearth & Home Louisiana Red".
Apparently It is a well liked blend, but it is so "different" from any other VaPer's that I like it repulsed me. I put the jar away and will try it again in 5 years.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Worst Tasting Blends Ever"
Five Brothers! Cut like steel wool and tastes just as good.
Mixture 79. The late author Gene Hill once described this tobacco as tasting like orange rinds and violets. I believe that he was being charitable.
Bond Street. I put this is the same class as Mixture 79.
The current iteration of Balkan Sobranie. Simply insipid.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Hands down - Borkum Riff
I received some aros recently and even picked up Paladin Black Cherry (the cherry tastes like actual cherries and the burley is quite nice) and they are all WAY better than the shredded anise dingleberries that MUST be in the Riff.
One is a mix of Troost and Sail Green and are Mana from Heaven compared to the Riff.
I'm still going to try Mixture 79, bad reviews be damned.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Paladin Black Cherry is a big seller.
To me, Paladin Black Cherry is the best tasting cherry (and I somewhat dislike aromatics).
You want over-the-top, smack your grandma cherry, try CAO Cherry Bomb.
Nuff said.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
You want over-the-top, smack your grandma cherry, try CAO Cherry Bomb
Thanks Zekest. Will do. Not a big aro fan, but like change now and again. Variety being the spice of life and all. :wink:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Everything aromatic. Among the non-aromatics/english I'd have to say Mac Baren Golden Blend and Davidoff Blue (english blend).
Mac Baren Golden Blend (Golden Extra in the USA). I've been smoking this for about a week and I can't get enough of it. Perhaps a little one dimensional, but taste-wise it's delicious; well there's no accounting for taste.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One of the most damnable blends I have had is Peterson's 'Luxury Blend'. No taste of tobacco whatsoever, just a melange of sticky icky tooty fruits. Less than half a bowl smoked afore being tipped out. Nasty stuff indeed.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Fitz not all Lakeland blends are awash in perfume. For a full on robust smoke I would highly recommend my new found friend 'Dark Flake' by Gawith & Hoggarth, it truly is a stunning and tasty blend.
Regards,
Jay.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Berry Nice - Maybe not the worst tasting. I just couldn't get past the overpowering sweet berry smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.