Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I broke an amber stem on a very old and very nice pipe that I have chosen to entirely forget about until now. I forget the make, model and shape, but I was pretty upset at the time. Now, it's a "meh", compared to the daily true tragedies that surround us all. Yesterday I learned that the woman that has cut my hair for 22 years passed away at age 41, leaving a husband and two sons, ages 10 and 12. She gave our daughter her first haircut, and many more after that, doting over her as she gave her beautiful French braids. She was the kind of person that could brighten any day, make anyone smile and laugh.

I enjoy pipes and tobaccos because they bring me pleasure. If something goes awry, so be it, I move on and forget about it.
Sorry for your loss Dan. ☕

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I lost a Savinelli Tortuga 673 in the backyard once. Found it the next weekend after running it over with my lawn mower.

• Wow
Reactions: Carol

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I used to work for a Realty company as a "field Inspector". I really just took pictures and noted anything I found.

300 miles a day in my own vehicle. 80,000 miles in the first year I was there. Gas was on the company, but repair was on me. That's neither here nor there.

Lots of time in the Jeep.

At the time I only had a few Dr Grabows, and my favorite was a little straight billiard.
Well, Long story short (This doesn't seem very short) One day as I was smoking, my hand felt....hot and wet...
I looked down and it looked like I was chewing tobacco, and spit on my finger.

I was smoking my pipe so fast and hot (I think) [Probably freeway driving] that the shank split in half. This was a daily smoker for me, so this was the first I noticed anything ever wrong with this pipe. And juices were flowing out of this gaping hole.

I don't have any before pictures that I know of, but I (Pardon me) filled the crack with cake. I smoked this pipe like this for months untill I believe lost it.

20160406_035728.jpg

I smoked the piss out of that poor thing puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Strong, yes. Warranted, to me yes. 😊
They are just pipes. I got to know Bruce for many years and while nice, the pipes are immaterial when compared to the memories. Other than comfort of hold and clench, no pipe is really more remarkable than the next.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Forgive my naivete but is that little piece something that renders the pipe unusable ? or is it the principle of a damaged pipe ? I think I would still smoke it if smokable ... What am I missing here ? It still looks incredible to me ...
I'd still know it was damaged. Would drive me insane.

• Wow
Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'd still know it was damaged. Would drive me insane.
Their just tools for burning tobacco ! I would send that piece back to him and ask him to incorporate it into a tamper for you to use with that pipe. As for the chip ... buff it out ! (I'm in no position to comment here as I don't have anything that ornate so I really shouldn't say anything but its still beautiful.) Its just unexpected Kintsugi. Anyway, sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Their just tools for burning tobacco !
There's the other rub. Had it been undamaged, it would've still only been a display piece. He never posts chamber dimensions so his pipes are a bit of a crap shoot. The chamber on the owl is too small for me to get the end of a pinkie finger in so useless to me for smoking. I was hoping for at least a .9"×2" chamber on a pipe of that size.

So garbage time?
Almost immediately after I took the photo. I did keep some unwaxed shards to try as a pipe filter though.

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
There's the other rub. Had it been undamaged, it would've still only been a display piece. He never posts chamber dimensions so his pipes are a bit of a crap shoot. The chamber on the owl is too small for me to get the end of a pinkie finger in so useless to me for smoking. I was hoping for at least a .9"×2" chamber on a pipe of that size.

Almost immediately after I took the photo. I did keep some unwaxed shards to try as a pipe filter though.
I'll be scouring Goodwill forever now ... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers